AWD system and applications

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheGodMachine

Reaction score
I have searched high and low for information on the awd system. After a couple weeks of research, it remains unclear to me if this can be used as a true full time awd system (Audi, Subaru, Mercedes 4matic, etc) or if it is just for use in occasional inclimate weather and not up to the rigors of everyday use.

I ask because I want full time awd for a couple reasons:

I have only driven full time awd systems for the last 15 years and have come to appreciate the widening of margins the systems provide.

I have read in a number of places that the rear end of the raptor can be a bit tail happy. I am an aggressive driver and would hope full time use of the awd system would mitigate this behavior.

I have no concern whatsoever about gas mileage. Simply want to know if the awd system can be used 100% of the time.

Thank you for your time and input.

Dr. Hunter

Reaction score
I'm used to the same all wheel drives you mentioned and yes if you leave the raptor in rwd it will have slippery tail end. However, with the new raptor I just leave it in awd since it's my winter car and it's been fine.

I believe the rear wheels are powered mainly in this mode with power given to wheels that needed when they needed. I noticed compared to 4matics that it will correct just like the 4matics will but ever so slightly slower. I notice a bit more slippage before correction vs the 4matics.This could very well be cause the raptor is so much bigger than my gle or s class though.

Daily driving it awd seems fine and works almost as well as those other companies. I do find when it's really slippery out and I'm worried instead of waiting for a correction I just put in 4hi and that way there's no slippage so no correction needed.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm used to the same all wheel drives you mentioned and yes if you leave the raptor in rwd it will have slippery tail end. However, with the new raptor I just leave it in awd since it's my winter car and it's been fine.

I believe the rear wheels are powered mainly in this mode with power given to wheels that needed when they needed. I noticed compared to 4matics that it will correct just like the 4matics will but ever so slightly slower. I notice a bit more slippage before correction vs the 4matics.This could very well be cause the raptor is so much bigger than my gle or s class though.

Not entirely true, turn on the power distribution screen as you drive

You'll see the fronts get power much more often, stop lights, acceleration, etc

Fine to leave on full time, slightly increased wear and worse mileage

OP
OP
T

TheGodMachine

Reaction score
Dr. Hunter and BajaFred I really appreciate the replies.

I also have a 4matic s-class so I appreciate the comparison there.

I was unaware that there is a power distribution screen, very good to know.

BajaFred, with regard to the comment "slightly increased wear" I autumn you are talking about the awd system components themselves correct?

I generally keep my cars to the 100,000 mile mark or more. I would like to think the awd system would be up to the task of handling at least this many miles if not more. I appreciate awd even in dry warm weather as it provides additional stability and control in emergency avoidance situations. These situations come up rarely, but the awd system can be the difference between a horrific accident and none at all in certain circumstances. My curiosity, and I believe you two have answered this, was wether ford had designed the system with only occasional use in mind, or had developed it with the thought that it may be used in a constant and ongoing basis. Based on your comments it would appear the latter is true.

I am not too excited to hear the system has a slight lag in providing power to the tires with grip, but while it doesn't sound "ideal" it does sound like an effective system.

Is selecting the Torsen differential of any additional benefit or drawback to the awd system?

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, increased wear on all components but even at 100K miles, I wouldn't worry about it unless you're "normal" driving style is thrashing it around from light to light

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was very happy to learn of the 4A mode in the new raptor. I typically leave the truck in 2wd but I prefer my wife to have awd because she is more comfortable driving for when those rare freak scenerios arise. For some reason she tends to encounter those instances more than anyone I have ever known. This is why I make sure her vehicle is awd. Her last 2 vehicles were a cadillac CTS awd and now a lexus rx350 fsport with awd. I am happy to let her drive the raptor in awd whenever she wants. It can definitely be used all the time if you wish. Unlike what was mentioned above, I have not personally noticed the awd system being laggy or delayed responsiveness. But, as i mentioned, I typically have it in 2wd.

Having said that, I have noticed that the throttle is very laggy if you put the truck in 'weather' mode. I have found that if you just leave it in normal mode and just turn the dial to 4A, the throttle responiveness goes back to normal. I dont notice a difference at all when in 4A vs 2wd other than when turning the wheel full lock and making slow turns- ie in parking scenerios. Its just a tad heavier turning effort, but still not hard by any means. I do have the 802A so mine is a torsen but not sure or not if that is the reason. Its hard to emphasize how little difference there is. I probably wouldnt even think the parking steering was heavier unless i knew from driving in 2wd so often.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the laggy feel in weather mode is purposeful to prevent wheelspin in weather conditions.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's real easy- just quit driving your 6000 lbs of glass and metal like a ****. Then you don't need 4WD to drive on paved roads.

Jesus, "widening of margins"? WTF is that even supposed to mean? I swear the 2017 Raptor attracts the "I'm better than you" crowd like no ******* other. "God" in the username? Check...

Dr. Hunter

Reaction score
Just comparing mercedes awd to the raptors awd I find the Mercedes is a little better like when slipping on ice the Mercedes reacts slightly quicker but it's very minimal and my subjective opinion. I'm sure you'll be pretty happy leaving the raptor in awd when driving. Given the option of the gle or raptor in bad weather I'll take the raptor eveytime.