Applique on regular tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alan C

Reaction score
What's the best vendor option to add the applique? Mine has the step tailgaite but no applique and I'd like to add it.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly best bet is to trade tailgates or buy a factory appliqué and remove all the tabs and use an adhesive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
what color is your truck? The applique and non applique are very different tailgates. You can't just take the actual applique and attach it to a non applique tailgate. If you want it to look like oem, then you have to buy a applique tailagte and here's one on sale >> https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/2018-leadfoot-appliqué-tailgate-_-complete.64574/

What's the best vendor option to add the applique? Mine has the step tailgaite but no applique and I'd like to add it.

BigCSS78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a ‘17 you can add the appliqué, if it’s an ‘18 or newer the tailgates are different and the non-appliqué tailgate has the F-150 stamped in the bottom. The appliqué tailgate doesn’t and is the same as the ‘17.

OP
OP
A

Alan C

Reaction score
So should I just buy the Ford part and sticky tape it to my 2017 or is there an aftermarket one that looks good and is cheaper?

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should start a new thread but...

What is under the applique? I see talk about "tabs", are there any good diagrams?

I am not a fan of the look, particularly on the light colored bodies. I ordered mine with the applique deleted and they messed up the order, but I'm happy to not have the *****-stamp too. Was thinking I could just peel it off and sell it, but after reading this it sounds like a "no-no".

OP
OP
A

Alan C

Reaction score

What is under the applique? I see talk about "tabs", are there any good diagrams?

I am not a fan of the look, particularly on the light colored bodies. I ordered mine with the applique deleted and they messed up the order, but I'm happy to not have the *****-stamp too. Was thinking I could just peel it off and sell it, but after reading this it sounds like a "no-no".
I think you would want to swap tailgates with someone who doesn't have it.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There are a bunch of holes in your tailgate that the appliqué snaps into via clips or tabs whatever you want to call them. Someone that has a non appliqué tailgate can simply cut the tabs/clips off and attach to tailgate with adhesive but if you remove a factory appliqué you will have Swiss cheese mod:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk