Anyone considering a Ranger Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Morgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind today's midsize trucks are yesterday's full size trucks by footprint. A current Ranger Raptor has the exact same width as a 70's or '80s F-150 and falls between a regular cab short bed and regular cab long bed for length. The main difference is how much is cab and how much is bed.

Good point, the difference in bed length is more evident between the cab and rear wheel. The RR cab does appear smaller, but definitely not as drastic as the early generation small/mid-size trucks.

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point, the difference in bed length is more evident between the cab and rear wheel. The RR cab does appear smaller, but definitely not as drastic as the early generation small/mid-size trucks.

I think the interior volume feels reduced as a driver, but how much of that is so much more dash and how much is a second row of people behind you with more room, I don't know. I did sit in a vanilla Ranger and I didn't find it tight in the slightest. I'm 5'11", for reference. The width was more noticeable, as in the center console is narrower and your front seat passenger is definitely closer. Depends on if you like your passenger if that's a good thing or not. I kind of miss bench seats sometimes because...reasons.

labradorguy

Reaction score
FWIW, I bought both a Ranger Raptor and a 24 F150 Raptor (35”) in the past two weeks.

Ranger Raptor is good…nice power. Adequate size.

F150…other than being big, is, in my opinion, just better in every area. I chalk it up to…Ford engineers are in their 3rd iteration of the truck (theoretically improving along the way)…and it is/was Ford’s original “halo” truck.

Both are great choices…I may tire of the “bigness” of the F150….but time will tell.

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I bought both a Ranger Raptor and a 24 F150 Raptor (35”) in the past two weeks.

Ranger Raptor is good…nice power. Adequate size.

F150…other than being big, is, in my opinion, just better in every area. I chalk it up to…Ford engineers are in their 3rd iteration of the truck (theoretically improving along the way)…and it is/was Ford’s original “halo” truck.

Both are great choices…I may tire of the “bigness” of the F150….but time will tell.

F150 is Ford's centerpiece. The US market largely revolves around it.

The Ranger is more of a global platform. Ford will *never* let the Ranger be better than the F-150 in metrics Americans car about because they don't want to cannibalize F-150 sales. Much like Chevrolet will never let a Camaro be faster than the same gen Corvette. There's no technical limits to either, it's a purely business decision.

That said, you're largely on the right track that size is the difference. Especially if you want to offroad outside of the southwest. Even today's bloated Jeeps are fitting on fewer trails, and the side by side market is going nuts as a result.

I saw a TJ Rubicon with 285k miles listed for $7900 and it didn't last 48 hours. Luckily, I was starting to count how much time and money to dump into it myself...

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crew cabs and super short beds look weird. Business in the front and tiny party in the back

Agreed. Even the 5.5' beds on the 1/2 tons looks odd to my eye.

Ditch the bed all together and build that Mustang competitor to the Porsche 911 Dakar... I'm sure it would be a low volume seller, but I think it looks like a hoot.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
can you elaborate?
I wish I could but I don't know much about it. I do have a good memory however and recall someone here who seemed to know saying the suspension is limited although it doesn't appear so. I forgot what they described.

someday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isnt it kinda in the way or low? Nevermind doesnt look too bad as far as clearances but i wonder if it limits lifts etc