GEN 2 Air bags for towing??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Traded in my 2008 5.4 Lariat for this beast and LOVE the Ecoboost, loads more towing torque below 3,000. The old truck had Firestone airbags and towed fantastic with the boat and probably 500 pounds of dive gear on our last vacation. The Raptor needs the same. Anyone know when Firestone plans to release some bags or does anyone have experience using helpers?

J1J6YQUWS7MI4Jn7NjU24HCjcAx2Wnx1ZTqw=w1326-h994-no.jpg

poodlemaster

Reaction score
I'm interested in this as well. I have been waiting and waiting but no one must make these yet or someone would have posted by now. I hate the idea of rpg bump stop kit for $1500 and probably $500 to have the whole thing installed.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Airbags will kill a lot of the rear travel. If you don't go offraod or fully cycle the rear suspension you should be fine. You'll get a lot of flack on this forum for running them but it's your truck.

If you want to do it right, it'll cost ya. More than just running an adjustable bump kit. SDHQ made some for the G1. They can do it for the G2 I'd imagine.

SDHQ Ford Raptor Rear Long Travel Air Bag System

OP
OP
O

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do people insist on buying a Raptor for towing heavy loads?

Long story! I used to ask myself why people buy Z06s and Porches and never take them to a closed course event even once. Short of it is I am consolidating in life and the Raptor replaced a ten year old Lariat and a Z06, sticking with Miatas on the track going forward. The dealer and I sifted through the owners manual and online sources determine it had a towing capacity similar to my '08 5.4. However, after throwing in the towel on the automation I pulled out all the books and that's when I found the Raptor supplement, it's much less. Oops.

Love the Raptor and after seeing what level of ability keeps me entertained on a track I think I am likely better off keeping this one for general duties, etc. I do get the criticism! I have just always wanted a Raptor, now I need some airbags and I'll be on my way.

tightt

Reaction score
Here, this is what he meant to say:

People that buy Raptors to tow are idiots.​

No question about that comment........

:specialed:

Do you and DrippinRaptor ever go to the store with your Raptor? Possibly go to home depot to pickup stuff? Take your kids (if you have them) to school?

OR...do you ONLY offroad/jump them?

Cause, based on your replies, thats all the Raptor is built to do.

I bought mine to do EVERYTHING. Will I be adding a fifth wheel? No. Will I tow my 18ft boat? **** yes. And if that boat makes the rear squat more than Im comfortable with...whats the big deal with asking about the possibility of a bag-leveling kit? Is that blasphemy?

Last edited:

solarwinds

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Traded in my 2008 5.4 Lariat for this beast and LOVE the Ecoboost, loads more towing torque below 3,000. The old truck had Firestone airbags and towed fantastic with the boat and probably 500 pounds of dive gear on our last vacation. The Raptor needs the same. Anyone know when Firestone plans to release some bags or does anyone have experience using helpers?
you can check frf2 has a bunch of info on towing, but basically the consensus is you need a Elite Weight Distributing Hitch Kit thingie. so ur ass don't sag and your load don't sway at high speed.

^^^ thats what she said too :ROFLJest:

Last edited: