AC drain line fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done the fix on the AC drain line on a Gen 1? All i could find was Gen 2 stuff and a part number for the Gen 2 elbow. Curious if anyone has a part number for the gen 1 or will the gen 2 part work?

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i found some threads on the F-150 forums and looks like people have had problems with different years but the drain looks similar on many of the models. Either way i was getting water under the carpet so i bought an elbow off eBay for 4 bucks. For anyone that attempts this, you need an elbow with a 7/8 ID. the part for the gen 2 (4M2Z6A614AA) does not fit. i was able to shave some material off the ID to get it to fit and then added some RTV to the inside as well as around the outside as best i could. If it falls off i'll get one that fits a little better. Pain in the *** to get to though. its directly behind the cylinder head so you can barely get your hand back there. hopefully my fix will hold up and keep the water from draining back in the cab.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i found some threads on the F-150 forums and looks like people have had problems with different years but the drain looks similar on many of the models. Either way i was getting water under the carpet so i bought an elbow off eBay for 4 bucks. For anyone that attempts this, you need an elbow with a 7/8 ID. the part for the gen 2 (4M2Z6A614AA) does not fit. i was able to shave some material off the ID to get it to fit and then added some RTV to the inside as well as around the outside as best i could. If it falls off i'll get one that fits a little better. Pain in the *** to get to though. its directly behind the cylinder head so you can barely get your hand back there. hopefully my fix will hold up and keep the water from draining back in the cab.

What year is your truck? I have a 2011 with 92,500 miles on it, and I've yet to have the problem you describe.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found a fitting from work that fit, I'll admit I haven't even looked to see if it's there two years later haha! Best I remember it was a 3/4" FPT x Hose barb 90°, and yeah reallllly hard to reach that little drain stub...oh hey I found a picture where I crammed my phone up there (the braided steel line next to it is my PA transmission dipstick tube):
20180805_094025.jpg

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@BenBB please help us out with photo interpretation. Is your pic taken looking down from under the hood or looking up from under the truck?

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@BenBB please help us out with photo interpretation. Is your pic taken looking down from under the hood or looking up from under the truck?
It's looking up-ish at the firewall so front to rear from below, the bolt head at the top of the pic is on the rear of the passenger-side cylinder head I think. From the factory the heater box drain sticks out of the firewall perfectly horizontal. I only noticed the issue on highway trips, moisture from the evaporator was apparently held in the heater box by air pressure (?) and would overflow, dripping on the passenger side feet/carpet. No issues since, I need to crawl under there and see if it's still there haha!

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's still there! It is just a Lasco plastic fitting, 3/4" FPT x Hose barb (often used on center pivot sprinklers or other sprinkler systems), just shoved on the stub. Here's another shot from passenger side wheelwell:
IMG_3363.JPEG
I had no idea they had an elbow on Gen 2's, just found something that would work...