93 or 87 and why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Asdjonasd

Reaction score
Because turbo engines have higher compression....higher octane rating is better in turbo engines. Period.

Chemically, octane 8 carbon chain. Heptane 7 carbon .......butane 4 carbon , propane 3 carbon, get the point.

Octane handles more compression than heptane before spontaneous ignition (versus by spark plug).

"Octane Rating" is ratio of octane/heptane.

91 Octane represents performance of blend of 91% octane, 9% heptane.

(usually it's a mix of carbon chain lengths that have equivalent performance as mixing 91% and 9%)

Engines knock when gas ignites before spark plug fires...because the cylinder compression forces combustion before sparkplug fires off.

TL;DR Higher octane = higher efficiency and better timing of fuel ignition by spark plug. Ideal for turbo engines if you want the fuel to ignite where and when it was designed to within the engine.

Source: chemist

Asdjonasd

Reaction score
Oh.... what about 110 octane? it has better knocking characteristic / higher ignition temp than the reference fuel - pure 'octane'

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Because turbo engines have higher compression....higher octane rating is better in turbo engines. Period.

Chemically, octane 8 carbon chain. Heptane 7 carbon .......butane 4 carbon , propane 3 carbon, get the point.

Octane handles more compression than heptane before spontaneous ignition (versus by spark plug).

"Octane Rating" is ratio of octane/heptane.

91 Octane represents performance of blend of 91% octane, 9% heptane.

(usually it's a mix of carbon chain lengths that have equivalent performance as mixing 91% and 9%)

Engines knock when gas ignites before spark plug fires...because the cylinder compression forces combustion before sparkplug fires off.

TL;DR Higher octane = higher efficiency and better timing of fuel ignition by spark plug. Ideal for turbo engines if you want the fuel to ignite where and when it was designed to within the engine.

Source: chemist

Now I got it. 110 octanes is 110% octane and (-10%) heptane.

Ron Lanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just ran my complamentry tank dry from the dealer. Im not sure but assume they filled it up with the cheap stuff ?
Shoul I try 93 and see if there is a difference ? especially during brake in period ??

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just ran my complamentry tank dry from the dealer. Im not sure but assume they filled it up with the cheap stuff ?
Shoul I try 93 and see if there is a difference ? especially during brake in period ??

Forget that 87 even exists. Save that for rental cars.

The Raptor/Limited (according to a dyno done by Car & Driver referenced in this thread) puts down an extra 20hp more on 93 vs 87. What more proof do you need?

I personally can’t believe that people would even consider putting in the cheap stuff that the masses (read: non car/truck people) use.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guy I bought my truck from apologized for not having a full tank. I thanked him for it when he said he always ran 87...

i know he didn’t hurt it but that’s just not what I wanted in there and it takes me weeks to burn a tank of gas.