2020 SCREW on the lot that bucks/clunks. Should I buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrantW

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been lurking on here for a few months, and am about to pull the trigger on a 2020 SCREW with the 802A package and every other feature I want with a decent price (MSRP here in California is good). I have taken it for a test drive twice, and each time I have noticed a bucking/clunk noise occur once while under hard acceleration and throttle. I have only experienced this twice, and couldn't get it to happen at other times when I was trying, so it seems to be pretty infrequent. The truck only has 20 miles on it now, and half of that was probably me test driving it.

The best way to describe the noise/feeling is if someone slightly rear ended you from the back, but it happens right after a shift. I'm not sure exactly which gears, but I would maybe guess somewhere between 3-5? It startled me at first, and the salesman said it "was because of all the power". Again, this only occurred when I really stepped on it from a rolling start, and I couldn't duplicate it again when I tried, but randomly occurred the next day when I test drove it again.

I have researched this topic to death, and have seen a lot of complaints regarding the transmission clunking and making these types of noises along with other harsh shifting, but usually only on older models? Everything else runs smoothly, and it was warmed up pretty well both times it occurred. I should also note that this was in Normal mode. I didn't test it in Sport, so I'm not sure it occurs there. It also had 87 in it I believe...

So do the experts here believe this to be a normal case of the 10 speed transmission just not broken in yet? Is this a case of the truck's "smart learning" and will eventually go away on its own? I have also read about people needing to replace something to do with the valve body , or even something to do with the torque converter? I know there should be no updates or recalls, because they said it was just dropped off and had been literally sitting on the lot for less than a week, so it's brand brand new from the factory.

I start to feel like I'm being super paranoid with this, but it's worrisome to experience on a 2020 with only 10 miles. Should I move on and look for another Raptor? What would you do?

Thanks for your responses!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
this only occurred when I really stepped on it from a rolling start, and I couldn't duplicate it again when I tried, but randomly occurred the next day when I test drove it again.

did you get into the throttle and then lift? Lucille hates this and others here have complained about this too. In normal mode, the normal pattern is 1-3-5-6... You can change by getting harder on it in first, compelling a shift to 2nd, then let off and it will go 1-2-4-6... or 1-2-4-5-6, depending on whether you’re steady with the throttle or not.

This is not Lincoln Navigator, it’s an F150 Raptor and if you’re seeking top level refinement as a primary driver for your purchase, I would suggest looking at alternatives before making up your mind.

If you didn’t test in Sport mode, you’d better because the shifting in Sport is more firm than normal, there is no gear skip and it’s much more challenging to not spill Starbucks in sport mode.

You’ve had way too short of a test drive. You need at least an hour to get a feel for whether or not you’re going to be ok with the truck. I agree, see if you can test drive another to get a baseline.

OP
OP
BrantW

BrantW

Reaction score
did you get into the throttle and then lift? Lucille hates this and others here have complained about this too. In normal mode, the normal pattern is 1-3-5-6... You can change by getting harder on it in first, compelling a shift to 2nd, then let off and it will go 1-2-4-6... or 1-2-4-5-6, depending on whether you’re steady with the throttle or not.

This is not Lincoln Navigator, it’s an F150 Raptor and if you’re seeking top level refinement as a primary driver for your purchase, I would suggest looking at alternatives before making up your mind.

If you didn’t test in Sport mode, you’d better because the shifting in Sport is more firm than normal, there is no gear skip and it’s much more challenging to not spill Starbucks in sport mode.

You’ve had way too short of a test drive. You need at least an hour to get a feel for whether or not you’re going to be ok with the truck. I agree, see if you can test drive another to get a baseline.

Thank you for your response. I will try test driving another one. What does it feel like when a shift gets skipped? Does it feel like this "bucking" I keep reading about? It's like a lunge forward almost, and a bang comes from the rear of the truck, almost like you got slightly rear-ended. Is that what the skipped shift is like? It could very well be that if so.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
what you’re describing does not sound like a skip shift.

coldvter

Reaction score
I gotta agree with Smurfslayer. My Raptor is a 2018 SCREW, I bought it with a little over 4000 miles on it, and it also had some firm shifts. I think these trucks do have learning transmissions, and with only 10 miles on it, it is trying to figure out how you drive. I’ve noticed that these trucks do have sensitive throttles on them, and if your the type of driver that’s not smooth on the throttle then it will seem to bang and buck on you. Especially in sport mode. I think when a lot of people read the reviews and watch all the YouTube videos they expect a truck that’s better riding than a Caddy or Lincoln. In actuality we bought a mild Baja race truck. Maybe not so mild. I’ve always had F350 Superduties before my Raptor, and my Raptor is way smoother. It can’t haul or tow as much as my old trucks, but this thing does stuff my Superduties could never do. I think the truck will smooth out the shifting as it gets to know your style. With all that being said, if you can hear loud clunks or other noises when it bucks, than yeah, that truck has issues.

Bob Blessing

Reaction score
I would stay away from that one for sure. But, I will tell you, if the Truck is in Sport Mode VS Normal Mode, the shifting will act different. For eg. in Sport Mode every gear will hit harder like a shift kit.

However, that one you drove sounds like it has problems. I am in agreement with others here on this Post to Test Drive another 2020! Good Luck!