GEN 2 2018 SCrew: Early Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Higgs Boson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the starter is not used with auto start/stop and there is ZERO "extra wear and tear."

it's simply a matter of getting used to it. there is a disable switch for circumstances you don't want it on, but under normal stoplight situations there is nothing wrong with it.

I am not saying you're a bad person if you "don't like it" as I could really not care less whether you use it or not, but it sounds like this is your first experience with it and you sound exactly like I did 5 years ago. It's just not that bad. It's just easy to reject change.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So how many stop/start cycles would I have every day in Los Angeles traffic?....50?
That's 25 more times each day the starter gets used...that alone had me reaching to shut the damn thing off...If it was for sitting at long rail road crossings or such then yeah maybe but that's not my situation...

Someone here said the starter was designed for that kind of use and is rated for 250,000 cycles.

Blusmbl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am the complete opposite with stop/start. I thought I would hate it and I really don't mind it at all. If the HVAC is on full hot or full cold with high fan speed from what I can tell it won't shut off so you stay comfortable. I also like how if the steering is turned too much or you lift off the brake pedal a little it will restart because it's anticipating you doing something.

If it didn't make a real world city driving fuel economy difference you wouldn't see it on so many vehicles. I'm elated that I can get 16 mpg with a 450 hp 4x4 pickup truck with massive frontal area and 35x12.50's on it.

OP
OP
N

NHnewbie

Reaction score
the starter is not used with auto start/stop and there is ZERO "extra wear and tear."

So please tell us uninformed folks just how auto start/stop works without engaging the starter.

It's just easy to reject change.

There is change in many aspects of the Raptor which I applaud and embrace. Auto stop/start is not in that category for me and I will continue to reject it. :yucky:

Last edited:

Blkz06

Reaction score
The reason sport and start/stop reset after every key cycle is because the EPA knows many people would not use the economy settings if they had the choice. Manufacturers only get credit for these devices on the fuel economy tests if these features reset after each key cycle. It's not a Ford thing, this is the way all manufacturers make cars now.

My BMW and Range Rover both have buttons that stay off until I decide to turn them back on. They do not reset every time I turn the vehicle off.

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

2018 SCrew: Early Experience

Recently took delivery of a 2018 Magnetic SCrew Raptor after 10 years and 200,000 miles of driving Tundras. The Tundras were the model of reliability, with only one unscheduled maintenance item in 10 years (covered as a warranty item even though the truck was a year past the warranty expiration). But, I wanted something with more “sporting” performance and appearance. The Raptor is my only Ford in 50+ years of buying and owning motor vehicles, and only my second vehicle produced by a U.S. headquartered manufacturer. Overall, my experience with the Raptor through the first 700 miles has been excellent, with no problems to date. The few problems I thought I had all turned out to be pilot error; perhaps not unexpected for a vehicle in which the owners manuals total 800+ pages. This is a far more sophisticated vehicle than the Tundra, and the features/capabilities are impressive.

What I like:

 Overall comfort/ride: With the off-road orientation of this truck and the OEM tires, I was expecting a crude, noisy ride on-road. Nice surprise here, as this vehicle is far quieter and smoother on-road than the Tundras. This is important to me as the closest to off-road this truck will see is my gravel driveway.

 Sync 3: far more user friendly and capable than the OEM nav system in the Tundra; night and day difference. Found the Sync software easy to update via USB thumb drive; not available in the previous Tundras.

 Distinctive appearance: nothing else quite like it, plus large range of aftermarket accessories/enhancements available.

 Performance: not fully explored so far, but still impressive.

 Range: 600+ miles with large capacity gas tank.

 Aux/upfitter switches: makes adding electrical equipment (lighting in my case) easy.

 Lots of nice design details: well thought out, quality that shows.

What I don’t like:

 Auto Start/Stop “feature:” has no place on a vehicle like this; I currently disable this on each start with the button, but will soon get into Forscan to disable permanently. If Ford finds it necessary to include this feature, the button should be setup to turn it on (IOW, its off unless you press the button), and the selection of off/on should remain through start cycles.

 Exhaust note: at least inside the truck, it sounds like a wet fart. I own two other vehicles with twin turbo engines and they definitely don’t sound like this!

 Lane keeping system: a bit of a toy as far as I can tell so far. Useful only when lanes are well defined and not obscured by surface contamination, which is not the norm where I live.

 OEM bed divider option: pretty useless as it can be installed in only two positions (only one position if the bed extender option is also installed), and neither position is useful. The tundra bed divider can be easily adjusted to any location in the bed.

 OEM folding soft tonneau cover: if I could do it again, I’d get an aftermarket roll up cover, as the OEM folding cover does not allow full use of the bed without removing the cover; doable but a hassle compared to the roll up variety.

Overall, I am more than pleased with this vehicle so far. What could change this are reliability problems and a poor service experience. My local Toyota dealer is very good re routine and warranty service. My closest Ford dealers have terrible online reviews for service. This could be a deal breaker for me. My patience with reliability problems combined with poor service is close to non-existent. I’ll be back in a Tundra if this turns out to be the case.

I agree with most of your points...I did a comparison between the Raptor and my Dodge Ram 1500 somewhere in this forum.

Hate, hate hate the auto stop/start button.

Radio/entertainment system is OK, but Dodge and Chevy have much better systems.

Ride is really good considering the intended function.

A huge pet peeve of mine- Gas mileage in general for me doesn't warrant the Turbo V-6. I bought into everyone saying how the Raptor had big tires, its made to go off road and its a big truck so be happy with 14 mpg. Well, after being in 3 loaner 2018 Ecoboost REGULAR trucks and getting 15-16 MPG...I'm sorry I just can't see how Ford can promote their Ecoboost mentality across the truck line. My 4WD Ram 1500 easily got that mpg with a 400 hp V8.

Yeah, maybe it helps the Raptor at 14 mpg but 15 MPG in a regular F150 is atrocious. And, lets not even talk about the exhaust note.

Service is another good point you brought up..Unfortunately for me, my Raptor has been in the shop 4 times in the last 50 days for a CEL that they can't seem to fix. Ford service, at least here where I am, is horrendous. This is supposedly Fords Crown Jewel, but they treat it like its a Ford ******. Communication is terrible, and my dealer really doesn't know much about the Raptor in general.

All in all, I love the Raptor though. It looks so good when its driving towards you or away from you. Its aggressive looking, and theres nothing like it on the road.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Higgs Boson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So please tell us uninformed folks just how auto start/stop works without engaging the starter.

I'm wrong, the Fords do use the starter to "assist" in the process but the direct injection also allows them to resume spark, fuel, and combustion exactly where the pistons stop so it's not a normal crank process. With combustion starting again immediately with no engine spinning required or rich startup fueling required it isn't what many people think it is.....the "hardest time an engine sees."

I think of it more of a "pause" than a "stop." It restarts itself anyways if the end of "pausability" approaches.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1109687_dont-start-stop-systems-wear-out-your-cars-starter

OP
OP
N

NHnewbie

Reaction score
I think of it more of a "pause" than a "stop." It restarts itself anyways if the end of "pausability" approaches.

Thanks for the informative link. Seems like a lot of engineering for the very small gain of 0.1 MPG quoted in the article.

Higgs Boson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the informative link. Seems like a lot of engineering for the very small gain of 0.1 MPG quoted in the article.

That was just a mazda engineer quote before the tech came to the states. The quoted gains for city driving are up to 10%, which would take you from 15 to 16.5 or from 20 to 22.

The greater benefit is zero emissions during idle which I personally think is important. It isn't like cats that hurt WOT power, we don't have to disable start/stop, IMO, it doesn't affect us at all.