2017 with Sync 3 Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pikser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My system did an automatic update a few days ago and now is not working properly.
When pushing a button to change screen it now take 30 plus seconds to change. If it changes at all.
Bluetooth shows connected but drops a call after a minute or so. Then try to reconnect.
Also sometimes get the GPS in red with the line trough it.
Have tried to download the update file from Ford Sync to a USB but will not let me as it says mine has been updated.

Any suggestions?

LeCreaux

Reaction score
Day or so ago mine started prompting me to connect to a network to complete an update. I've answered "yes" and let it connect to my house wifi, but it doesn't appear to be installing anything. I've let it set there for an hour, still gives me the same prompt every time I start the truck. Tried selecting "No" but then it just freezes up. Sometimes it doesn't freeze but has a delay that makes it appear to be frozen.

Info says Sync 3.3 is installed so I don't know what update it's installing. Tried downloading 3.3 for USB but the Ford site doesn't even give me the button to download it. Looks like the web site is broken.

OP
OP
Pikser

Pikser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spent three hours at the dealer this morning.
Was told the APIM needs to be replaced. But that it is on back order. Should be available in about three weeks.

LeCreaux

Reaction score
I learned to be suspicious about things like that from my Jeep dealerships. If they can’t figure something out they often just throw parts at it to see if it works.

One time I had the trailer lights go out on a Cherokee Trailhawk. The forums universally said it was the computer needing to be “flashed” to re-enable the trailer lights. Would only take a few minutes...

Jeep scoffed at me for telling them about “forum troubleshooting”. They kept my Jeep for weeks. Ended up taking apart all the interior and wiring. Replaced a whole bunch of things, nothing worked. Finally they called me and said they “flashed the computer” and it came right back on, said they’d “never heard of that before”.

And they didn’t even give me a loaner car.

LeCreaux

Reaction score
On mine I’ve had to disable OTA updates to stop the constant freezes. Next week I’ll take it in to get looked at. Something is bugged, Car Play has always frozen every time I disconnect my iPhone so I can’t use it.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here. I have a 2017 SCREW 802A. I disabled Automatc Updates by shutting off the switch in General Settings and everything is working again. My symptoms were exactly as described here including the blank Nav screen with the twirling circle. Night mode also stopped working so I had a bright white Sync screen driving at night! Thats a Safety Hazard!!!

Darn Computers!!!!

Sam_S

Reaction score
I just ran into the same issue. Last week system has been glitching, GPS failing to lock on, buttons non-responsive. Took it to dealer and they tried and failed to update Sync software 4 times and gave up. I took it home, left it overnight in driveway and battery was dead today. Jumped it, drive to dealer and they replaced the battery. I drive home and now have no Navigation module visible at all, no cameras, and no clock on main dashboard. I turned off engine, opened door and radio stayed on. Turned off radio with power knob and screen stayed on. I got out of the truck and the accessories lights (parking lights) were still on despite headlight selector being turned to Off. I had to pull battery cable off a terminal to shut it all down. I had done a Master Reset already to no avail. Of course, this happens on a weekend and dealer is closed tomorrow. Any ideas how I can force the accessories to power off when I turn the engine off and open the door? Never had these kinds of issues before, but I did have Automatic Uodates enabled, so that may have done me in. Sync is still on version 2.2 though, so not sure it ever completed an update...

Sam_S

Reaction score
Quick update on my resolution. Accessories issue was caused by a headlight selector dial that needed to be replaced—it showed “Off”, but the dial did not actually turn as far as the indicator. That’s fixed. For Sync 3, the failed updates seem to be because the technician was trying to upload Sync for a C-Max Hybrid! Weird part is it succeeded and I had options in my Raptor to schedule charging my hybrid engine and watch the power flow between gas and electric! Bizarre. They sorted that out after I showed them my “Plug in Hybrid Raptor” and succeeded in getting a new version of Sync installed—only to be back where I started with delays and unresponsive buttons. They finally order a new PIM and swapped that out. Everything is now fixed and working great again. So, these issues are not software in my opinion...they result from a mechanical failure in the control module. Swap that and everything is good again.