Rigid SR2 Roof Bar Whistle Fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So at SnoBall 2014 I picked up via the raffle a set of SoCal Super Trucks roof mounts. Well, a quick 2 years later I finally got me a 50" bar! I decided on a @RigidIndustries SR2. I wanted a single row bar because I didn't want to risk raising the overall height of the vehicle. I went with Rigid because they totally took care of me when I had a "self-induced" problem with my Dullays.

Well after I installed the bar, I noticed wind noise and at higher speeds some whistle. Well, once I aimed the bar up (see night shots below) to where it needed to be, bastard whistled as soon as I hit 15 mph! It was unbearable.

So a little background on the install. I have it installed with the wiring harness on the passenger side. I have the wire siliconed in place in the gap of the windshield and A pillar. As such, the cooling fins are on the bottom of the bar. I don't think the whistle is from the fins vibrating. I can touch the bar through the sun roof and I never felt anything like a vibration.

What I can only assume is that the whistle was from the air flowing OVER the fins, akin to blowing over the mouth of a beer bottle. Another thread I found on FRF had the author stating that he would run with the bar tilted down, and tilt up when off roading and would just deal with the whistle.

Well, when I ordered the bar, I also ordered five (5) blue covers in preparation for SnoBall 2016. I had hoped that when I got the covers on, they might disrupt the airflow past the fins, and eliminate the whistle. Well sure as chit, they do!!!! I have the bar tilted back up where I want the light and all you hear, even at 80+ MPH, is the wind noise, that even my wife says isn't that bad.

I share this in case anyone wants a similar setup, they can avoid the whistle with some Rigid covers. I'll be getting a clear set soon.

Todd

2015-12-04%2016.09.26.jpg

2015-12-06%2017.40.52.jpg

2015-12-06%2017.42.46.jpg

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lighting contest at the Prerun.

Good luck.

12301633_10153878851913274_1090143688472613124_n.jpg

FYI no whistle from the Whelen Continuum.

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please, I beg of you, post some photos showcasing that hyperspot. I want to see distance and what it lights up. Thanks :)

OP
OP
shooterAMG

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please, I beg of you, post some photos showcasing that hyperspot. I want to see distance and what it lights up. Thanks :)

So these trees are over 150 yards away according to Google Earth.

2015-12-06%2017.41.46.jpg

So when I'm first truck in line on a run, I'm always looking for oncoming traffic. At night, I'm watching for headlights. This year at the SnoBall, my wife and I would see the snow of the curves up ahead and see light. I'd slow thinking something was coming at me only to find out it was me lighting those curves up. This bar throws far I will tell you. I'm very pleased with the performance.

There is a local road that I saw has trees one mile away at the end of a farmer's field. I plan to stop by there and see if I can light them up and to what degree.

Todd

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ thank you very much. It looks great! Very pleased. I am sure if it better in person. :)

joekai

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So at SnoBall 2014 I picked up via the raffle a set of SoCal Super Trucks roof mounts. Well, a quick 2 years later I finally got me a 50" bar! I decided on a @RigidIndustries SR2. I wanted a single row bar because I didn't want to risk raising the overall height of the vehicle. I went with Rigid because they totally took care of me when I had a "self-induced" problem with my Dullays.

Well after I installed the bar, I noticed wind noise and at higher speeds some whistle. Well, once I aimed the bar up (see night shots below) to where it needed to be, bastard whistled as soon as I hit 15 mph! It was unbearable.

So a little background on the install. I have it installed with the wiring harness on the passenger side. I have the wire siliconed in place in the gap of the windshield and A pillar. As such, the cooling fins are on the bottom of the bar. I don't think the whistle is from the fins vibrating. I can touch the bar through the sun roof and I never felt anything like a vibration.

What I can only assume is that the whistle was from the air flowing OVER the fins, akin to blowing over the mouth of a beer bottle. Another thread I found on FRF had the author stating that he would run with the bar tilted down, and tilt up when off roading and would just deal with the whistle.

Well, when I ordered the bar, I also ordered five (5) blue covers in preparation for SnoBall 2016. I had hoped that when I got the covers on, they might disrupt the airflow past the fins, and eliminate the whistle. Well sure as chit, they do!!!! I have the bar tilted back up where I want the light and all you hear, even at 80+ MPH, is the wind noise, that even my wife says isn't that bad.

I share this in case anyone wants a similar setup, they can avoid the whistle with some Rigid covers. I'll be getting a clear set soon.

Todd

2015-12-04%2016.09.26.jpg

2015-12-06%2017.40.52.jpg

2015-12-06%2017.42.46.jpg

Todd, what are your over all thoughts on the SoCal Mounts? ease of install, quality, etc.

Thanks

OP
OP
shooterAMG

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were a breeze. The included instructions were very good compared to some other mounts I've helped install, plus both GLRE trucks run them, so I had the benefit of talking to them.

I chose to just drill all the way through into the cab since I didn't want to risk the nut serts pulling out, plus it gives added security since a their can't get to the nylon lock nut until they break into my truck and open the door.

I just filled everything I could with black silicone and I'm praying for no leaks! Was an easy install for sure.

Agent 00 L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How far above the roof is the top of the light bar? I am close to my garage already so extra height has to be minimal.

joekai

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How far above the roof is the top of the light bar? I am close to my garage already so extra height has to be minimal.

Socal Supertrucks states on their website that these mounts, with a 50" E-series light bar from Rigid, will allow a stock Raptor to still fit in a garage. Now Shooter has the SR2, which is a single row, so I'm sure that helps.

Last edited: