Contest: Show off your DIY skills - Round 2!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
We ran this contest last year and I thought the content generated was so good that it deserved a repeat. It is always cool to see an idea you have turned into reality - especially when you do it yourself. Here is a chance to show off what you can do and provide some valuable how-to info to the community. Reply to this thread with a link to your project write-up / how-to that you did yourself for your Raptor. It can be building a bumper, a stereo or VHF radio install, rebuilding the factory Fox shocks - you get the idea. We will allow 45 days from today to build your project, post a write-up (explaining what you did so that everyone can follow along) and link it in this thread. At the end of that time, the entries will be voted on (via a poll) by the FRF community.

The grand prize winner will receive an 16GB black iPad Mini (courtesy of FRF) and bragging rights!
Canadian and International members if you win you'll receive an Amazon gift card equal to the value of the iPad mini.

attachment.php

Second place will receive a $100 Amazon gift card

Third place will receive a $50 Amazon gift card

Rules:
1. One entry per person
2. The vast majority of the work must be done by you.
Here are some examples:
-You built a bumper, someone else painted / coated it -> Eligible
-Your buddy built a bumper and you painted / coated it -> Not eligible.
3. Existing write-ups / how-tos / projects are not eligible.
4. Vendors are not eligible.
5. You must submit a link to your write-up / how-to thread on FRF for your project.
6. Project cannot have been previously submitted to any FRF contest.

The deadline for entries is noon on 1/10/2014. Voting will run from 1/11 through noon 1/26/14.

Here is a link to last year's contest entries: Vote for your favorite DIY Project!

Attachments

• ipad-mini-black3.jpg
    ipad-mini-black3.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 4,750
Last edited:

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great timing! I have a little project in the works! Now do you have I make this certain something or can you do a write up on a certain something but it has your twist on installing it and placing it in a certain place?

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hmm... Wish I had the equipment to build my own bed rack. I have something in mind. Small project but it'll do. Not sure if I'll make the deadline though. Lol

OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Great timing! I have a little project in the works! Now do you have I make this certain something or can you do a write up on a certain something but it has your twist on installing it and placing it in a certain place?

How-to / install threads ARE eligible.

Hmm... Wish I had the equipment to build my own bed rack. I have something in mind. Small project but it'll do. Not sure if I'll make the deadline though. Lol

JD Squared, one of our site vendors, has some great fabrication tools (benders, notchers, etc.) that are pretty affordable. Here is a link to their section: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f219/

I put some custom scratches in mine. Does that count?

Nope! :Wedgie:

Last edited:
OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
It looks like there are some great Black Friday deals out there for tools, shocks, etc. All would make a great write-up!

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
Heres my entry!

After looking at the ugly Raptor Console for 2 years, I decided to do something about it. I found a seller that was selling really good quality leather to cover our consoles.... My dad just happens to have embroidery machines capable to do leather and almost anything else!
9ydabady.jpg
So I started my project! I digitized this into the computer to do a sew out. I removed the f-150 from it because it was too much for my taste...
View attachment ford.bmp
First off was to do several sew outs to perfect the logo! After 2-3 I got it down to an art. Now I have several sew outs in many different colors and I sell these and make a pretty good profit off of them. Thanks for the help guys and I will be proud to keep making them for you guys.
Here are the finished sew outs before I moved onto the leather...
hu5yduna.jpg
Heres my walkthrough-

First - Embroidered the leather...
udagesuv.jpg

Once that was done, I removed my console lid. To remove it from the truck, I removed 3 torx bits. The rest of the lid came apart with phillips and torx.

I then used 3M spray adhesive to stick the leather down on the top then lined it up. After it adhered to the top, I moved to the right side, left side, back, then finally front.
uqe7e8e4.jpg
I used binder clips to clamp the leather to the sides to make it adhere. Finished console lid-
ahaduzy3.jpg
After I finished it, it was time to reinstall it to the truck...
3epudy3y.jpg
9u2ehy9y.jpg
gyza9e2a.jpg

After that, I decided to start making these into a small business. So far i've sold 10 and hope to have more interest in them. I am also doing a wide variety of designs. The possibilities are endless. Anything from military to police affiliation to racing number and nicknames. Even your favorite vendor as long as you have permission to use thier logo! I am glad to be able to make these for you guys and I am glad to continue! Heres a few I finished today. Thanks for your vote in advance!
4 designs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.