RoughCountry discounts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive used my sdhq mount a lot but never on my own truck but my bumper is still on ask big50 i towed him out. I went over to the synthetic cord now and it is attached to the frame horns and its not going anywhere.

OP
OP
Slacker

Slacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the RC mount and winch. I contacted them before ordering to find out if the mount would work with a Raptor and they said sure, just need to space out the front plate a bit. Lies I tell you.... Lies.

So the actual mount works after bending a small metal tab out of the way. I am not sure why this thing is there but it is connected to nothing, supports nothing, holds nothing. So it got "moved" and the mount fits just fine.

The problem came in when I mounted the front cover plate. If you look at the mount you can see it has two pieces: http://www.roughcountry.com/ford-f15...mount_1010.php

It is the smaller piece that holds the fairlead. To get the cover mounted I had to move the tabs that hold the plastic piece out of the way.

Raptor Bottom Tabs.jpg Raptor Top Tabs.jpg

Once I got the cover on it looked ugly, and left gaps on both ends. This is a screen capture from their promo video, and my truck. Same same but different, right?

RoughCountry Front View.jpg Raptor Front View.jpg

I contacted rough country and they were less than helpful. They asked for photos which I provided and I even made a suggestion on how they could correct the issue. To that they said they didn't do "custom" work. Pretty sure the Raptor isn't a custom vehicle but whatever. No RMA, no suggestions, nothing. Great customer service.... NOT.

Well I took matters into my own hands yesterday and removed the whole setup. I put the plastic filler piece back in and marked it where the mount would come through and ended up cutting a hole in the plastic. Once I got it all back together I think it looks pretty good. With the license plate mount on you can only see the synthetic line sticking out. With the plate removed you can see how well the plastic filler piece fills in on the sides and surrounds the winch mount.

2013-08-04 11.29.51 (Copy).jpg 2013-08-04 11.30.07 (Copy).jpg 2013-08-04 11.30.59 (Copy).jpg

All in all I am happy with what I have now, but Rough Country customer support SUCKS. Not only did they give me bad info before the sale but then they don't stand behind their product when you have an issue. I just hope the winch holds up and I never have to contact them to get it fixed, but at less than half the price of a comparable WARN winch it is worth the chance.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think with any winch mount you have to grind off those metal tabs that hold the lower grill.

It looks like you got the job done, and I'm sure most who have installed the hidden winch was bitching during the installation too.

My outlaw mount didn't have instructions. It was a pain and a lot of swearing, but it's done and i'm happy.

Thanks for sharing for the next guy.

Yukon Joe
GLRE Support Raptor
WWW.RUNRAPTORRUN.COM

602Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered this plate today. I will be using a warn 9.5ti winch with cable and a steel hawse fairlead. I love the way it looks with the stock filler panel. I will post some pictures when I get to the install. Thanks for the write up.

c19dale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rough country just told me their winch mount wont fit a Raptor without major modification....ughhh... looks like it does huh?

I am looking at this mount and winch:

Winch Mounting Systems
Rough Country RS12000S Electric Winch

The Warn is more than double that price for a 12000lb winch and it won't fit behind the grill. The SDHQ mount is not only double the price ($395 vs $199) but it requires cutting. The RC mount is a bolt-on with no modification required and will hold their largest winch.

The RC winches are rebranded MileMarker winches as I understand it but I can't really find anything bad enough about them to make me want to spend $1,500 on a winch.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sdhq mount does not require cutting. I have it on mine. Complete bolt on. Just have to drill 2 holes

It also had well documented instructions and took about 2 hours to install in my driveway

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rough country just told me their winch mount wont fit a Raptor without major modification....ughhh... looks like it does huh?
It fits with minor mods if you don't install the plate intended to replace the lower grill. Just pop out the plastic and bend the mounting tabs out the way or cut them off and you are done.