Cargo Rail Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Here is what I installed:

2 x 48" tracks (mount in bottom of bed)
2 x 12" tracks (mount on the inside sidewall of bed in the back)
Plus some single stud, double stud and bolt stud fittings.

track-style-l-track-with-coated-black-finish_1_175.jpg 9-single-stud-fitting-w-stainless-steel-ring_1_175.jpg 451-double-stud-fitting-w-o-ring_1_175.jpg 12270-double-stud-fitting-w-bolt-thread_1_175.jpg

I ordered everything for a reasonable price from US Cargo Control:
L Track Tie Down - Airline Track Cargo Tie Down Rails & L Track Straps

The bolts that came with the rails had a small washer and a nut. I added stainless fender and lock washers.

The idea is to use the rails in the bottom to tie down camping gear, coolers, etc. I would use one pair on the sidewall for a gas can or two and then other I would use the bolt stud fittings to mount a bottle carrier for a CO2 tank.

Installation:

• The hardest part was measuring everything out to avoid the hat channels on the bottom of the bed. I didn't want to have to try to install a nut in a place I couldn't reach or drill out a spot weld that connects the channel to the bed.
  • Once I had everything measured, I laid the track down and marked all of the drill locations with a paint pen. I used a Uni-bit to drill all of the holes as it makes a cleaner hole in sheet metal than a regular drill bit.
  • After the holes are drilled, I sprayed some bedliner in a can in the holes to cover any bare metal to try and prevent any rust in the future.
  • After the paint dried, I put the track into place and dropped bolts in all of the holes and installed all of the washers and nuts. I had my beautiful assistant use a cordless drill from inside the bed, while I held the wrench underneath, to tighten everything up initially. Afterwards, I went around and tightened everything up the rest of the way.
  • The only hiccup I ran into involved a dampener on the driver's side frame rail that one of the bolts hit. I trimmed the bolt with a hacksaw.
Here is a pic of the trimmed bolt and one of the hat channels:
IMG_3462.jpg

An overview from underneath the truck:
IMG_3464.jpg

An overview from the bed:
IMG_3465.jpg

The only thing I would have done differently would be to use the natural Al finish rails. Some of the black powder coat has already chipped off and I think the natural Al finish will look better for the long haul. It is 14.25 inches from the front of the bed to the front of the 4 foot rail.

Last edited:

Marine on Land

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come back in about six months and follow up on that. I have looked at that system several times. Loved the system they install in Nissan trucks. Which ford was a little more proactive in those kinds of easy upgrades.

ruffstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would you provide a distance measurement from the bed front to the track end, and from the bed rear edge to the track end? This will help others avoid those hat channels. Thanks!

OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Would you provide a distance measurement from the bed front to the track end, and from the bed rear edge to the track end? This will help others avoid those hat channels. Thanks!

I haven't forgotten, just haven't had time to get to it, yet.

Thats great! How did you fix the short rail sections to the side of the bed?

You can reach up inside the space in between the rear fender and the bed wall.

Reaction score
I am looking for similar rail system but was more interested in using a removable kayak rack with rails that could be tonneau covered when rack is removed. Nearly impossible to find and very pricy. Fords cargo management system looks good but only availabe for 6.5 bed and not many accessories like a rack available. Seen Titan rails n cool rack that is discontinued and cant buy anymore. Like Chevy or gm cargo management system with cool rack and for short bed and ton of accessories. Just not sure mount points or width would work in ford. Both ford and Chevy have dual rail systems.
Either way would take some custom adapting work which I don't mind but the price will be high. Looking for easily removable rack tonneau cover capable. Looked at mount hitch type for front receiver or rear but I tow a camper and don't want to use a top of cab rack in combo w t bar. Seen track rack but those tracks look terrible on top of bed. All other rail systems seem only for tie downs and not rack or other accessories.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score

It is 14.25 inches from the front of the bed to the front of the 4 foot rail.
I updated the first post. Better late than never, right?