WOT then lost all boost..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
step 1: burn the JB4. ( they are quite possibly the worst thing ever. they WILL malfunction and potentially cost you a new motor.)

step 2: Check for boost leaks.
Disagree. I've used Burger products for 10+ years and know Terry and the gang well. They've tuned all my BMWs and I've never had an issue. I know dozens of guys using their stuff without issue.

Boost leaks would throw a CEL wouldn't they? I have no CELs which is what's odd to me.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
That diagnosis is not adding up..the PCM continuously monitors the timing on both banks via each Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP); this can be viewed on a scan tool as VCT angle. There is also a VCT_ERR pid, which provides the difference (in degrees) between the PCM's commanded VCT position and the actual VCT position. For the engine to be out of time enough to not product boost, the error PID would well exceed the threshold to set a timing related DTC.

Keep us posted.

I've experienced a clogged fuel line/rail making a truck appear to have jumped timing.

So much so that the master tech at the dealer thought the truck needed a new top end and possibly a long block.

any problems with the fuel system and the pcm starts doing really weird things.

PSA: DO NOT USE FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER FROM AUTOPARTS STORES ON THESE TRUCKS.

I had a buddy try using fuel injector cleaner. Then he made the mistake of adding octane booster to crappy MX gas so he didn't have to switch tunes.

Guess who had to pay out of pocket to redo his fuel rails/lines and pay to have his injectors cleaned/serviced twice? THAT GUY.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Disagree. I've used Burger products for 10+ years and know Terry and the gang well. They've tuned all my BMWs and I've never had an issue. I know dozens of guys using their stuff without issue.

Boost leaks would throw a CEL wouldn't they? I have no CELs which is what's odd to me.

I've literally yanked 2 JB4s off of attendee trucks after going through all of my spare intake sensors to stave off the CELs, yet still seeing both trucks run so poorly that I though the motors were toast. remove the jb4? no more issues.

tune it or don't. piggybacks cause big issues.

Boost leaks do not necessarily trigger CELs. If a coupler pops off of a tube, or you have a leak on one, the truck will just have no balls. I've experienced it on my own truck, and have diagnosed it on many others.

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've literally yanked 2 JB4s off of attendee trucks after going through all of my spare intake sensors to stave off the CELs, yet still seeing both trucks run so poorly that I though the motors were toast. remove the jb4? no more issues.

tune it or don't. piggybacks cause big issues.

Boost leaks do not necessarily trigger CELs. If a coupler pops off of a tube, or you have a leak on one, the truck will just have no balls. I've experienced it on my own truck, and have diagnosed it on many others.
Well, I'm sorry you've had bad experiences. That doesn't make a JB4 junk overall. I've had more issues with flash tuners than I've ever had with piggy backs.

But back on topic--so I could have a boost tube off somewhere and it wouldn't throw a CEL? That seems crazy, but who knows. I'll take a look (and check oil level) when I leave the office. Also do note I disabled the JB4 (unplugged the two plugs) and it didn't make any difference, so I can rule that out. Still shocked I don't have a CEL....what's funny is I raced a leadfoot SCAB last night with a temp tag on the way home. Next light he was wondering what mods I had to make my loaded down SCREW whip him. Then it goes into no boost status a few miles later. Maybe something did pop off.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Well, I'm sorry you've had bad experiences. That doesn't make a JB4 junk overall. I've had more issues with flash tuners than I've ever had with piggy backs.

But back on topic--so I could have a boost tube off somewhere and it wouldn't throw a CEL? That seems crazy, but who knows. I'll take a look (and check oil level) when I leave the office. Also do note I disabled the JB4 (unplugged the two plugs) and it didn't make any difference, so I can rule that out. Still shocked I don't have a CEL....what's funny is I raced a leadfoot SCAB last night with a temp tag on the way home. Next light he was wondering what mods I had to make my loaded down SCREW whip him. Then it goes into no boost status a few miles later. Maybe something did pop off.

I'm not hurt over it. I feel the exact same way about pedal commanders and every other piggyback tech. It is just one additional thing that can fail and IMO isn't worth the risk. ( and it becomes unnecessary once you start modifying the truck with performance parts.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I've had more issues with flash tuners than I've ever had with piggy backs.

18 Race Red SCREW--ADD Stealths F/R, Rigids, Eibach springs, 20" Venom's, ARE Overland topper, bed rug, B&M Shifter, Whipple stage 1, Burger JB4 tune, Linex flares, KHC diff skid, FP diff cover, CO pinstripes

Do I read your list of mods correctly that you have --BOTH-- a whipple stage 1 tune AND the burger JB4?

Also do note I disabled the JB4 (unplugged the two plugs) and it didn't make any difference, so I can rule that out

Not necessarily. You ruled out the programming, but not the hardware. The only way to rule the hardware out is by removing it completely; factory harness connection to factory harness connection, no aftermarket components in between.

Still shocked I don't have a CEL....what's funny is I raced a leadfoot SCAB last night with a temp tag on the way home

A point of clarification: Did you scan for codes with a scanner, OR, are you merely reporting there’s no CEL on the dash?

You need to scan for codes because most of the DTC’s are silent and don’t trigger a CEL.

Also, it’s not fair racing the Raptor with only primer grey paint. You should really be ashamed of yourself for picking on a truck with... differing abilities. ;)

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do I read your list of mods correctly that you have --BOTH-- a whipple stage 1 tune AND the burger JB4?

Not necessarily. You ruled out the programming, but not the hardware. The only way to rule the hardware out is by removing it completely; factory harness connection to factory harness connection, no aftermarket components in between.

A point of clarification: Did you scan for codes with a scanner, OR, are you merely reporting there’s no CEL on the dash?

You need to scan for codes because most of the DTC’s are silent and don’t trigger a CEL.

Also, it’s not fair racing the Raptor with only primer grey paint. You should really be ashamed of yourself for picking on a truck with... differing abilities. ;)

Whipple stage one minus the tuner, all the hard parts. Using the JB4 as the tune.

And I did rule out the hardware when I unplugged it. Truck wouldn't run it if hadn't plugged the factory plugs back in. It only has two plugs and then an OBD2 connection, which I also unplugged.

Yes I scanned for codes using both the JB4 (before I unplugged it) and another scanner I have. No codes.

It wasn't a fair race :D I think he just got his new truck and wanted to show off.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
https://www.dtcdecode.com/Ford/P053F :

Ford DTC P053F
Make:
Ford
Code:
P053F
Definition:
Cold Start Fuel Pressure Performance Bank 1
Description:
The PCM monitors fuel rail pressure to control split injection. This DTC sets when the fuel rail pressure falls outside a calibrated threshold limit for controlling split injection during a cold start.
Cause:
  • Restricted fuel filter
  • Restricted fuel supply line
  • Damaged fuel pump assembly
  • Damaged fuel injection pump
Diagnosis:
Diagnose any FRP and FVR circuit DTCs first. Various engine driveability symptoms, including no start, hard start, rough idle, and backfiring may occur as a result of this DTC setting. This DTC may be accompanied by other DTCs, particularly P0087, P0088, or P00C6. Freeze frame data is not applicable to the cold start emission reduction monitor.

Remember: If it’s on the internet, it has to be true.