Will Ford drop the v8 in the Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorguy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only the higher ups at Ford know the answer to your questions. I don't think there is any chance that Ford would bother to put the 7.3 in an F-150 model that is about to be completely redesigned, though. The 5.2 would package about the same as the 5.0, which is already offered in the current F-150.
On that note, I suspect any engine change won't happen until the update, if it happens at all.

SL75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With that said, do you think the Raptor goes away and the TRX hellcat takes over?
The article also conveys that the 7.3 will replace the 5L. Knowing what we know, the 7.3 will not be in the current generation raptor, but if a future version exists, it most likely would fit that placement. We know the 5.2sc will be ready soon, so we have at least that. I am curious though why Ford doesn't have the diesel engine as an option for the raptor. That would be a nicer option than the 3.5. it seems like it has less problems.

Last edited:

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With that said, do you think the Raptor goes away and the TRX hellcat takes over?
The article also conveys that the 7.3 will replace the 5L. Knowing what we know, the 7.3 will not be in the current generation raptor, but if a future version exists, it most likely would fit that placement. We know the 5.2sc will be ready soon, so we have at least that. I am curious though why Ford doesn't have the diesel engine as an option for the raptor. That would be a nicer option than the 3.5. it seems like it has less problems.
I didn't see anything in that article that suggested that the 7.3 will replace the 5.0 https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/05/ford-5-0-liter-production-scaled-back/

RAPTERRIER

Full Access On Your Mom
Reaction score
Yeah I doubt the V8 won't be going in the current truck. I do believe that it will go in the next generation. Ford will wait one model year while to TRX is available. They'll dangle the carrot with leaks of information in order to at least try and prevent TRX conquest sales from current Raptor owners. Ford has to compete with Ram. If they don't put a blown V8 in the next truck they're going to get crushed.