Whistling sound from engine bay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nh rapta owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.2 just a faint whisle when window down cant hear it with windows up??

It started out faint. Now it's gotten louder and more obvious.

I've checked my stock intake twice and didn't see anything out of place. I would think if it was my intake I would be able to reproduce the noise while accelerating in Park, but I've tried that as well. Sound won't happen unless the engine is under load while driving.

Cant hear it on my raptor because my roush exhaust is to loud could be there but cant hear it

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had my selling dealership look into a whistling noise emanating from my engine bay. They said it was just the rush of air entering the airbox. That doesn't make too much sense to me. It's a high pitched whistling noise. You can hear it steadily between 50-60 miles per hour, or on initial acceleration after a stop. I can't seem to reproduce the sound at idle either. Even if I have my wife hit the skinny pedal to rev the engine a bit. It's very distinctive when driving though. Any ideas???

Hi Rob in CA,

As a next step, you may want to get a second opinion at a different Ford Dealership. What's the current mileage on your truck? I'll see what I can do to assist from my neck of the woods.

Crystal

OP
OP
Rob in CA

Rob in CA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Rob in CA,

As a next step, you may want to get a second opinion at a different Ford Dealership. What's the current mileage on your truck? I'll see what I can do to assist from my neck of the woods.

Crystal

The truck has 12,*** miles on it. I'm actually pretty surprised they didn't diagnose it the first time. Thanks for the help.

Mflowin

Reaction score
Just throwing it out there, but mine was makin a whistling noise also on the freeway and when I got home checked everything it happened to be a clip on my fender liner was missing on the front passenger side. Went to autozone picked up a new one for 1.50 and the noise is now gone. You might want to check that. Turns out at speed the liner was flexing just enough for the air to make a whistling sound.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rob in CA

Rob in CA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just throwing it out there, but mine was makin a whistling noise also on the freeway and when I got home checked everything it happened to be a clip on my fender liner was missing on the front passenger side. Went to autozone picked up a new one for 1.50 and the noise is now gone. You might want to check that. Turns out at speed the liner was flexing just enough for the air to make a whistling sound.

I'll have to check that out. Which liner are you talking about? The one that covers the inside of the wheel well?

Mflowin

Reaction score
Yes. The inner liner. You should be able to just grab the liner and pull on it and see if its loose. It uses plastic molding "buttons" or whatever they are called. You will see what i am talking about once you look in the fender well. Mine was missing the front one closest to the bumper. Good luck and I hope it's this for you also and not something major. Good luck.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The truck has 12,*** miles on it. I'm actually pretty surprised they didn't diagnose it the first time. Thanks for the help.

Sure thing, Rob. If you'd like, I can escalate this to your regional customer service manager. Just send over a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and the dealership you'd like to work with for a second opinion. I'll get the ball rolling.

Crystal

OP
OP
Rob in CA

Rob in CA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. The inner liner. You should be able to just grab the liner and pull on it and see if its loose. It uses plastic molding "buttons" or whatever they are called. You will see what i am talking about once you look in the fender well. Mine was missing the front one closest to the bumper. Good luck and I hope it's this for you also and not something major. Good luck.

Now I know exactly what you are talking about. I ripped those bad boys out about a week ago lol. Zip ties have been holding them since. I guess it's time I got get the actual buttons that go in there, and see if it makes a difference.

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

Sure thing, Rob. If you'd like, I can escalate this to your regional customer service manager. Just send over a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and the dealership you'd like to work with for a second opinion. I'll get the ball rolling.

Crystal

Thank you. I'm going to try to permanently repair my fender liners. If that doesn't work then, I'll probably be shooting you a PM with my info. Thanks again!

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...Thank you. I'm going to try to permanently repair my fender liners. If that doesn't work then, I'll probably be shooting you a PM with my info. Thanks again!

You're welcome, Rob. I'll be here if you need any help.

Crystal

rghernan

Reaction score
My 2014 does the exact same thing. Sounds like a turbo spooling up. I can reproduce the whistle only under a driving load at 1500-2000 RPMs. I had a Ford tech from my dealership ride with me and was able to reproduce the noise over and over for him. He popped the hood and checked the air intake. He said the noise was not affecting the performance of the truck and didn't know what was causing the noise. The truck is completely stock with 18,000 miles.

Last edited: