Wheel weights knocked off after new rotors/pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd check my installation!
The caliper sticks out the furthest; if there was a problem with the disk it would not turn with the caliper installed.

What's there to check? I just got out from under there. The caliber bolts are exactly where they should be. Everything looks tight and in place, but it looks like whatever rubbing happened is right along the caliper - and it isn't much.

Here's another thing I noted. When lifted off the ground, the passenger tire is much easier to spin than the driver side (though I can spin it). The clearance between the caliper and the wheel seems less on the driver side - though neither has much. I can see daylight the whole way around it (barely). I've taken a few pictures below.

Here's what it looks like to me and I could be very wrong here. I've installed new pads that are significantly thicker than the previous ones with 25K miles on them. They're supposedly oem size and sure look fine, no issues fitting them other than having to compress the caliper pistons a deal, which I would expect. This causes the outside edge of the caliper to ride closer to the wheel, right? I mean, it has to fit that pad in there. As the pads wear, the calipers float ever so slowly closer inwards and away from the wheel. Fully expanded, do the Raptor/F150 calipers allow the clearance to become so small that these stock Euro-style wheels no longer have room for the inner wheel weights? You can see they are as far over as they can be and they're still getting nicked. Five got peeled off (maybe they weren't flush?). Could these new pads just be ever so slightly thicker than OEM and the clearances are THAT tight?

I don't know what else to do here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 46
  • image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
By looking at the picture I can see that the caliper is engaging the wheel.
The caliper is not installed correctly.
Look at the caliper installation on the other site as reference and correct the installation

Took a quick look at my truck, and your caliper is definitely not installed correctly

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Look at the caliper installation on the other site as reference and correct the installation
I think what you are seeing is the effects of a weight that got smooshed in there. I just put a dab of paint on that wear mark and drove it around the block, hitting the brakes hard. When I returned, the paint was untouched. The picture actually looks a little worse than in real life, but it really looks like it's a weight that did that vs. caliper on wheel action.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think what you are seeing is the effects of a weight that got smooshed in there. I just put a dab of paint on that wear mark and drove it around the block, hitting the brakes hard. When I returned, the paint was untouched. The picture actually looks a little worse than in real life, but it really looks like it's a weight that did that vs. caliper on wheel action.

What I'm seeing is a caliper sticking out to far...

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What I'm seeing is a caliper sticking out to far...

And the only possible way I'm seeing for that to happen is due to the thickness of the pad. I've pulled it apart three times now. That caliper bolts to a bracket which bolts to the knuckle. That's all bolted up correctly - in fact I haven't figured out a way to do it incorrectly and let it even come close to fitting back together. I do think the caliper is sticking out more and causing the problem, however it's the "why" part of it I find perplexing and I think it's due to the thickness of the pad. Though I would think it wouldn't be possible for the caliper to extend enough to cause clearance issues - however this IS the same caliper for normal F150s and I don't think those have Euro-style wheels with the wheel weights on the inside.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Took a quick look at my truck, and your caliper is definitely not installed correctly
Please explain. Or could you post a picture? I have no doubt of my ability to make stupid mistakes.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
DSC00785_zpsbd5cf0e9.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

Look at the relation between the caliper and pads, on yours the caliper is out about 1/2"

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Like I recommended, remove the wheel on the other site and look at it...

I've done that and I don't see any differences. I have to go hit an Easter BBQ, but once I get back I'm going to pull it apart and eyeball/measure it carefully. I appreciate the help, I'll report back what I find.