Wheel and tire advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Northern Goat

Reaction score
Kicking around idea to get rid of the bulging sidewall appearance and keep my ride quality

I see Nitto RG come in a C rated 38x12.5x17

Would these tires with a 17x9 wheel help with less sidewall bulge and a more square look. Would I have any interference issues?

Ain any case I will be doing either a 1" coil level or the Eibach 2.2/1.5 lift

Can anyone with any real experience be able to help?

Any supporting vendor recommendation would also be helpful.

Last edited:

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You think the sidewall will bulge less with a 38” Nitto?

Sidewall bulging or ballooning look has to do with tire width and wheel width. Try a 9” wide wheel on stock tires.

OP
OP
N

Northern Goat

Reaction score
You think the sidewall will bulge less with a 38” Nitto?

Sidewall bulging or ballooning look has to do with tire width and wheel width. Try a 9” wide wheel on stock tires.
I completely understand that the sidewall and wheel width are factors; however different brands of tires are also constructed directly. For example these KO2s have a rounded shoulder where as brand like Nitto typically have a more squared profile.
I am just kicking around some ideas to get other people's thoughts and to see if any one with knowledge can comment as to any potential fitment issues.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Kicking around idea to get rid of the bulging sidewall appearance and keep my ride quality

But why?

It’s a Raptor. Not a ho/bro-dozer on 26’s with a Carolina squat.

On a Raptor you want tires with sidewalls that are capable of give, especially when you have to air down.
Ain any case I will be doing either a 1" coil level or the Eibach 2.2/1.5 lift
That will definitely improve ride quality and off road capability.
Word

Yeah, before someone gets in here and scolds me for belittling your plans, let’s step back for a moment and talk about goals because modifying suspension without and end goal in mind and not doing the ENTIRE suspension, is “derp”. Not dope, derp. Look to some of the build threads on here, we’re not just throwing parts on one by one and hoping for the best. You might be able to get away with that on a track day car, or, a generic off road vehicle like a Jeep, but the Raptor has a dedicated functional range in mind and performs quite well at what it aims for and maintains capability in things that is outside it’s focus - rock climbing for example - not a Raptor strength but it can and will do it. The Raptor excels at speed off road and what you’re suggesting is going to compromise that strength and possibly stress / break hard parts.

My suggestion:
Drive it for a few hundred miles.
Take off road and see if you really have a deficiency that you just really want to change. I’m betting that like 99% of the FRF here, you cannot over drive the suspension you have.
But if you do decide there’s a thing or two that you’d like to correct, then revisit the topic.

But don’t mod suspension for the sake of aesthetics. Please.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Could have just added your additional thoughts to your original thread.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Could have just added your additional thoughts to your original thread.

Yeah but then he would miss the opportunity for those with (far) more experience (than me) counseling him on the need to update suspension as a system, not component by component.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Yeah but then he would miss the opportunity for those with (far) more experience (than me) counseling him on the need to update suspension as a system, not component by component.
But, you did not take a deep enough dive on his bulge concerns. I think that deserves more attention.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I completely understand that the sidewall and wheel width are factors; however different brands of tires are also constructed directly. For example these KO2s have a rounded shoulder where as brand like Nitto typically have a more squared profile.
I am just kicking around some ideas to get other people's thoughts and to see if any one with knowledge can comment as to any potential fitment issues.

Are your ko2’s 35 or 37?