Water in differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2020 that just hit a 100k miles has had rear end rebuilt twicw, 58K then 88K and front being done now at 100k, they have had it for the month of October waiting on approvals and parts. Its never been offroad, mostly hwy miles and commutes of 25miles each way per trip. Never been through water that wasn't on road or in a carwash. Rear diff the gear lube looked good, cracked bearing race on the first one and bad bearing on the 2nd rebuild. They tell me the front diff had water intrusion but they couldn’t determine a reason‍♂️. Ford warranty and Ford ESP has covered the rebuilds.
Front diff will get enough condensation in it to contaminate the oil over time. Probably should be changed annually or every 2 years depending on your climate. Using it occasionally helps too. When you first start the truck and drive away with it the iwe's are engaged for the first few minutes to lube everything up so parts don't rust .

OP
OP
R

robl3577

Reaction score
Was it covered under the warranty ?
Finally heard back and they are covering the whole thing even though they were not able to find any cause for the water intrusion. On this truck I have Maxcare, bought through Carmax. So far, I'm happy. Just wish I knew what the cause was. Now I'm worried about the R. Drove through some puddles last week!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter