Washboard Dirt Roads = Major Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsbug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to disagree with the 45 mph remark.

I've done up to 100 miles on pavement at 20Psi Cold ( Showing as roughly 25 Psi Hot) without issues. Would I try to drift around a bunch of switchbacks in a 7000 lb truck at 22psi? no.

But, I've logged almost all of my road miles at 32 psi cold, which is a fair bit below what the manual says. How many you say? New Orleans to Santa Clara, CA. Shortly thereafter, Johnson Valley, CA to New Orleans, LA.

Keep in mind that most of ultra4 drivers put the tires at 25 psi and leave them there. bashing rocks, then zipping across a lake bed at over 120 mph.

I wouldnt press my luck and drive for hundreds of miles below 20 psi ( cold), but I'm still here ( as are the 25 other trucks that were aired down to similar pressures the last time i did it.).

and none of us were particularly nice to our tires in between the 20-100 miles on highway from end of trail to hotel for the night. We were doing anywhere from 100-260 miles in the dirt each day, with the highway drive afterward.
I'm just getting back in to offroading again after a few years hiatus, and never have adjusted my tire pressure. So I'm finding out a lot in these forums. Already decided on the CO2 system and have pretty much everything else I need (I think..lol) I was just unsure about when to adjust the air pressure. Most of my initial runs will bring AZ until I venture out to Utah or California at some point.....as well as other locations.
I appreciate the insight

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to disagree with the 45 mph remark.

I've done up to 100 miles on pavement at 20Psi Cold ( Showing as roughly 25 Psi Hot) without issues. Would I try to drift around a bunch of switchbacks in a 7000 lb truck at 22psi? no.

But, I've logged almost all of my road miles at 32 psi cold, which is a fair bit below what the manual says. How many you say? New Orleans to Santa Clara, CA. Shortly thereafter, Johnson Valley, CA to New Orleans, LA.

Keep in mind that most of ultra4 drivers put the tires at 25 psi and leave them there. bashing rocks, then zipping across a lake bed at over 120 mph.

I wouldnt press my luck and drive for hundreds of miles below 20 psi ( cold), but I'm still here ( as are the 25 other trucks that were aired down to similar pressures the last time i did it.).

and none of us were particularly nice to our tires in between the 20-100 miles on highway from end of trail to hotel for the night. We were doing anywhere from 100-260 miles in the dirt each day, with the highway drive afterward.
I agree totally. The 45 mph came from a tire dealer, but you are right, I don't totally agree with it. Just don't let your tires got too hot.

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an appointment next week to address the SSM 47757 issue. I really hope this makes a difference.

boomtruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I said from the start that these trucks only need more power on highway on ramps and roads that meet the horizon. any more motor off road needs big changes from the door handles down.