Verrrryyy close

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To what I would refer to as getting stuck. I was where I shouldn't have gone, but then who hasn't??:ROFLJest:

Let me start by saying never, I said never, leave home without a shovel !!!:baby: And, no I didn't, but this for those of you that do.

I was running some high country roads looking for a stupid coyote so I could clean up the gene pool. Got to the end of the plowed road (2-3' of snow) and just kept going on what was snowmobile trail on the county road. After a couple miles.... my buddy and I thought maaaaybeeee we were pushing our luck. We hit a soft spot and stopped. Couldn't move after a slight spin. Out comes the shovel and around the tires I went. Hopped in and got a little ways but not moving good. Another shovel job, better this time.

We got moving real good... in reverse. I backed up about 1/2 mile and slid into the ditch in another soft spot. Another shovel job but this time I hit gravel. Went forward, really got on it and went down the ditch for 30 yds or so and popped back onto the road. We decide I better get turned around.

There was field entrance about 50yds behind me so we shoveled out a spot. About this time 2 friend's in Toyo's came up. They went on by me and stayed to make sure I was back on the road and going forward.

I backed into the lightly shoveled spot and 2 turns later was back on the road going the right way (out of there!!)

Now I don't know about you, but If I can get myself out, I wasn't stuck. Not having to get pulled out by a Toyo....priceless !!!:ROFLJest::ROFLJest::ROFLJest:

OP
OP
Sage

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
At the turn around point, I still had not dropped any air out of the tires (running 45 psi). Original tires with 34,000 miles on them. I was seriously thinking about dropping 10 pounds out but didn't need to as it turned out.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
At the turn around point, I still had not dropped any air out of the tires (running 45 psi). Original tires with 34,000 miles on them. I was seriously thinking about dropping 10 pounds out but didn't need to as it turned out.

Should have dropped at least 20psi.

OP
OP
Sage

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
did you find any coyotes

No dogs !! We tried calling at some low elevations (2000-2300') and we were in drifting fog. No reponses but damn wet cold going right through you !

Decide to go up above the fog and glass open areas between the timber. Some of our old trails were "road closed" signs. 5000-5500' elevation, clear sun and 22 degrees, no wind. It was very nice up there.

This is an old photo, but this is where we were.
rap2600x450_zpsce73caac.jpg

OP
OP
Sage

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My hunting partner told me this morning there's a place paying around $50.00/dog on the hoof. Now if I don't have to messs with them, it sounds very interesting ! I'm sure they would only pay that for a good hide.

I've been using a .223 (AR) or .222 (Rem 700 BDL bolt gun), both with hollow pts or soft points. They can tear the hell out of a good hide. I never have used solids and don't even have any. So today I dug out the little 22 Hornet 1885 Win single shot. I will check the scope when it warms up a little. The Hornet won't do any damaage to a hide.

Still will be in the single digits or low teens for another week or so. That means the snow and frozen ground will still be here and they'll be hungry !!