GEN 2 TPMS - what the hell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19RaptorPB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My low tire pressure came on four days ago. While driving I scrolled through the menu and saw that it was my LF that didn’t show any air pressure. The next day it was the LF and RF. The day after it was the LF, RF, RR and then finally today it was all four. I found it odd that they went out one by one each day and in the same order they are supposed to be programmed.

I finally had time today to reprogram but it’s not working. I entered the TPMS relearn mode utilizing the three pushes of the hazard button method. The menu stated to reprogram the LF so that it where I started. The first time I tried it I let air out but wound up with 10PSI and no validation from the computer (horn honk). I filled it back up, went through the process again and tried with a TPMS programmer I got on Amazon and nothing.

I tried both ways several times with zero luck. For reference I have a 2019 with aftermarket wheels/tires/TPMS sensors that have been on with no issues for months. I haven’t had anything major happen and I’ve physically looked at the sensor cables on each wheel.

Can somebody please give me a clue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
OP
OP
19RaptorPB

19RaptorPB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got crappy sensors.
I know this doesn't help, but that's what it looks like.

I guess that’s definitely a possibility. I don’t recall which ones they were but I could call and find out. Can you recommend sensors? Should I just go with the OEM or is there something better?

mattyz99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you try a hard reset with either a programmer or disconnect neg battery for like 20 min then drive around for the relearn

OP
OP
19RaptorPB

19RaptorPB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you try a hard reset with either a programmer or disconnect neg battery for like 20 min then drive around for the relearn

No I haven’t done that yet. I did however do a good deal of ECU flashes lately building a tune. I wonder if that could have any effect on it?

Jace21583

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me know what you find out I've been having tpms sensor failure similar to you. They just fail one by one after about 30 minutes of driving. They come back on and fail again sporadically while driving and the dealership can't/won't figure it out. Stock ECU so I'm not flashing anything. OEM sensors too

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I had my 2017 I put new tires, wheels and sensors on my truck. I bought 4 new OEM sensors off Ebay and one was a dud. The TPMS light on the dash was on and no tires showed any psi on the screen. I tried the relearn method in the owners manual several times and that didn't work. A local dealer tried the basic relearn tool and that didn't work. I took it to another dealer and they used their IDS and found a bad sensor. They changed the sensor and they all worked. It was strange how 1 bad sensor kept the other 3 sensors from learning.

OP
OP
19RaptorPB

19RaptorPB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious if Ford has to do the work or do private shops have IDS capabilities as well? I’m asking because I want to have my live valve module reflashed and adjust the ride height sensors after the eibach springs. I think I’ve been running kind rough ever since.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just curious if Ford has to do the work or do private shops have IDS capabilities as well? I’m asking because I want to have my live valve module reflashed and adjust the ride height sensors after the eibach springs. I think I’ve been running kind rough ever since.

Some larger private shops may have IDS but I doubt the small ones do? I'd check around to see if other scan tools are capable of diagnosing a bad sensor and or resetting them.
I went to the Ford dealer because Saturday was my only day off and most of the smaller Ford dealer service departments and private shops are closed Saturdays. I just happened to be driving by a large Ford dealer and noticed the service department was open. So I stopped in on a Saturday with no appointment and they got me right in and fixed it. It wasn't cheap, but I didn't care. The TPMS light on the dash drove me nuts for a week and it was finally off.