Torsen diff in 24

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would be kinda cool, but there aren’t many situations that you could get a Raptor into, where a front locker is needed to get you out. It’s not really meant for extreme rock crawling and in fact, its size prohibits most extreme rock crawling.
Truth. there are low % use cases but it definitely would be helpful in soft sand and deep snow. Especially on inclines where speed is low and momentum+grip is a challenge.

I’m not an engineering expert so I don’t really know if the size tradeoff vs the open diff (or torsen) is meaningful but I do know both the bronco and bronco raptor come with from the factory so ford has units in their portfolio

badclam

Reaction score
Lockers are hella helpful in the PNW for deep snow and especially for muddy rutted roads. I've never worked on a modern differential. Is it do-able and financially reasonable to make a 2024 Raptor front diff into a lockable differential?

Rocks2Sand

Reaction score
I believe the main issue is that many competitors have front and rear lockers (even the new Colorado and Canyon). For the price point I do not see why the Raptor's do not have front lockers!
Interesting. I don't see the Colorado and Canyon as competitors. Not even the same segment.... They are competitors with the Ranger Raptor, which is a much more realistic size for most of the trails with rocks. Additionally, I'd rather keep the truck as lean as possible and not just add features because the "competition" has it. Just give me what I need. That is all. A checklist of added features isn't a bonus to me unless they directly apply to the main use cases for the truck. A) Daily Driver to SBux. B) High speed Baja runs and fun at the dunes.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
negative effect of torsen is a nice PULL to the steering wheel in 4Auto
Exactly my experience . Its a very unpredictable way to “lock” the front spool. Selectable front is the only way to go. Torsen is effectively a stronger limited slip front diff. A concept only useful in one modality: Sand.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly my experience . Its a very unpredictable way to “lock” the front spool. Selectable front is the only way to go. Torsen is effectively a stronger limited slip front diff. A concept only useful in one modality: Sand.
This is exactly right…sand. Torsen is useless if you lift a front tire off road. It’s nice, but there is no guarantee a non torsen truck would have trouble or get stuck especially with the traction control systems these days. After my front diff issues in the past, id prefer a simpler front end and 4A being straight as an arrow. I’d prefer a very rarely used selectable locker.

Josh84

Reaction score
This is exactly right…sand. Torsen is useless if you lift a front tire off road. It’s nice, but there is no guarantee a non torsen truck would have trouble or get stuck especially with the traction control systems these days. After my front diff issues in the past, id prefer a simpler front end and 4A being straight as an arrow. I’d prefer a very rarely used selectable locker.
Apply a small amount of brake and the unit will bias torque to the tire with traction.

Last edited:

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I’ve really ever used trail control…but that system brakes wheels individually. I know traction systems that mimic mechanical traction with brakes aren’t incredibly popular, but it does do it. If you need to use the brakes to activate the torsen with a wheel in the air the computer will do it anyway. Not that it has ever happened but it would be good to compare lap times, or struggle in a situation between torsen and non torsen. Sounds like a test TFL would make a useless mess of.