Tire Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is nothing worse than driving down the interstate at 40mph in the snow only to end up in the median, a ditch, or worse.... simply because the tires are ice skating...

Last year I was running up to Albany in the snow and sleet, as you know that is slick snot, road was completely covered, I was doing about 45 in 4hi with a long line of cars behind me. This Taco goes by at better than 60, a few miles up the road, he was wrapped around a tree on the side.

If I was in the white crap for months at a time, I'd get studs.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Toyo who makes the rubber for Nitto.... well... people either like them or otherwise have nothing bad to say but not a lot of specific feedback.

Toyo tires are pretty expensive. That is why you don't find a lot of info about them on some forums.

They are very high quality tires. Generally require very little weight to balance.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be honest...

Money isn't in the equation for me on this buy. I don't care if they are $500.00 a tire... I just want the right stuff.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll be honest...

Money isn't in the equation for me on this buy. I don't care if they are $500.00 a tire... I just want the right stuff.

I don't believe in skimping on tires, either. I only mentioned so you'd understand that lots of guys don't buy Toyos simply because of the price.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you....

I'm torn on the Duratrac vs the Nitto ridge Grappler.

The thing gnawing at me about the Nittos are the weight. The 35 Duratrac is a 60lb tire and has a snowflake. The Nitto apparently is just as good in the snow because it borrows rubber from their exo snow rated tires, but it comes in at a hefty 74lbs with stiffer side walls.

The Duratrac probably will ride and drive nicer on the bumpy stuff with better gas mileage, but I'm suspecting the Nitto will hAve more traction and longevity.

Between the two..:: the Nitto is the cooler looking tire....

Hmmmm

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll tell you....

I'm torn on the Duratrac vs the Nitto ridge Grappler.

The thing gnawing at me about the Nittos are the weight. The 35 Duratrac is a 60lb tire and has a snowflake. The Nitto apparently is just as good in the snow because it borrows rubber from their exo snow rated tires, but it comes in at a hefty 74lbs with stiffer side walls.

The Duratrac probably will ride and drive nicer on the bumpy stuff with better gas mileage, but I'm suspecting the Nitto will hAve more traction and longevity.

Between the two..:: the Nitto is the cooler looking tire....

Hmmmm

If you're hung up on weight, get the Duratrac. And I also think you need to see both tires in person. I think the Duratrac is the better looking tire in real life. I'm telling you my bro was a die hard Toyo MT man until he saw the Duratracs in person.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got Ridge Grapplers, but they are new and I haven't run them through any real winter conditions yet. The tread blocks only have one straight sipe in the middle. The Duratracs have 2 squiggly sipes on each block. I'd think the Duratracs would perform better on ice and hard pack simply due to having 100% more siping (with a more "aggressive" siping pattern) than the Ridge Grapplers.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You won't find snowflakes at FRF...

As for your question on winter traction, I'd suggest pouring over the reviews at the big online tires sites. There is no treadwear ratings required for LT tires so compound is a bit of mystery.

@Frank N If you want to find snowflakes here, all you have to do is hit up the Gen1 specific forums ! :slap:

KIDDING !

For mall crawling, any of these tires will do, but the braking could really change the truck feel if you go up significantly in weight. I’ve swapped wheels and tires before on my Mustangs, and my bikes. by far the biggest difference I saw was putting carbon fiber wheels on my zx10r; The rear wheel was 6 pounds, the front well under 4 pounds, each was well more than 50% lighter than stock.
I didn’t really appreciate the easier braking but I can tell you that the wheelies came on a full 1200 RPM sooner. That’s an exaggerated example for sure, the whole bike under 430 pounds. I think to notice the impact on braking it will take more than 5 pounds / wheel, but that’s just a guess.

My thought is that it’s not just any one thing; stiffer sidewalls and load rating will or should make the ride characteristics a little more harsh. Longer lasting might not be conducive to good pavement traction.

Anyway, as you said, you have time. consider what you’re going to be primarily doing with the truck and you’ll be fine.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotated the Ko2 set I had on my Gen 1 every 5k miles, had 60k on them when I traded in on my Gen 2. Still looked good, 40-50% tread left at trade in. My Gen 2 has 7,500 miles, tires were rotated 1,500 miles ago, no uneven wear.

AF-Raptor

Reaction score
You can find most brands on Tirerack.com. As far as an on road/off road tire, BFG KO is the top rated. If you go more aggressive, you introduce a whole new bunch of brands.