Tire rubbing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is kind of a new 37 thread, for that I apologize. So anyway… I was extra bored yesterday and decided to swap the 37x 12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on the factory Gen 3 beadlock rims onto my 2019 Gen 2. I have Fox Factory Race Series shocks on my Gen 2 and 35x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 0 off set Method 704’s.
The 37in tires rubbed in two spots at full lock. In the front they rubbed on the steel fittings of the hoses going to the remote reservoirs and in the rear they rubbed on the back of the upper control arm. It is the rubbing on the upper control arm that I find puzzling.Anyone have a thought on this?
It won’t be an experiment I’ll be repeating, my ass was whooped after wrestling those tires around!

OP
OP
Sig Fanboy

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Edit: To clarify, why would the tire rub on the UCA of my Gen 2, but not rub on the UCA of my Gen 3, which is a 35 truck.

OP
OP
Sig Fanboy

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a wheel spacer to lower the wheel offset. And then get to trimming on the inner fender and firewall.
I understand how to fix it. Just wondering how the tires do not rub on UCA of my Gen 3 but does rub on UCA of my Gen 2. I don’t think they changed any of that geometry. I guess my only thought is the Fox Race Series shocks have changed the location of the UCA on my Gen 2. I guess it’s the only thing that makes logical sense.
I’m gonna just stick with the 35/ 0 offset rims, seems to be the special sauce for a Gen 2. They claim the FRS shocks for a Gen 2. or at least the front ones, will work on a Gen 3. Wondering now if the 37’s would also rub on a Gen 3 with the FRS installed without using either a spacer or 0 offset wheel. I won’t be doing it to just find out!!

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
@Sig Fanboy I'm not sure if it is the same UCA on Gen 2/3. Is your Gen 2 running aftermarket UCAs? Most of the aftermarket ones require a zero offset wheel.

FWIW, I have 37s on my Gen 2. Kings, SVC UCA and zero offset 105 Methods. I have done the pinch weld mod and fender trimming. My tires are not rubbing on suspension hard parts, or anything at this point. Tires might rip the fenders off at full send one of these days. But so far so good.

OP
OP
Sig Fanboy

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Sig Fanboy I'm not sure if it is the same UCA on Gen 2/3. Is your Gen 2 running aftermarket UCAs? Most of the aftermarket ones require a zero offset wheel.

FWIW, I have 37s on my Gen 2. Kings, SVC UCA and zero offset 105 Methods. I have done the pinch weld mod and fender trimming. My tires are not rubbing on suspension hard parts, or anything at this point. Tires might rip the fenders off at full send one of these days. But so far so good.
I have the factory UCA’s. I just put the 37’s on it to see how it would look and to see how badly they would rub. An experiment I guess you could call it. I believe my Fox Factory shocks changed the orientation of the UCA just enough to cause the tires on stock offset rims to rub. I recall another thread on here where someone was worried at how close their tire was to the UCA, but don’t recall what mod they had done, Eibachs possibly. I’m happy with the 35’s on my Gen 2, so I doubt I’ll go the 37 route when these tires are worn, which will be awhile given I’m doing a 6 tire rotation and don’t reallly rack up a lot of miles