Ticking sound at idling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorSwede

Reaction score
I've had my 2021 Raptor gen 3 for about 2 weeks and I love it. I'm just a little concerned about a ticking sound that is fairly noticeable when it's idling. Would love to hear from you Raptor experts that this is normal and nothing to worry about.

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
Sounds like an exhaust rattle. Just a guess. A rattle is known issue on some Gen 3's. Hard to tell from the short video. Have you had a dealer listen to it?

OP
OP
RaptorSwede

RaptorSwede

Reaction score
Nope, I bought the car from Carmax. Is the know rattle issue serious or mostly just a thing of annoyance? Thanks!

Lanthas

Reaction score
Does it go away after some times or if you change exhaust modes? Mine has a very similar reoccurring sound and it is from the exhaust valves and goes away after a few mins. It can be fixed with the TSB 22-2388 if so. The big thing here when I had mine done was the PCM (or BCM) update that came with the TSB since I guess that controls the valve position. I only learned this because after I flashed my tune, it seemed some stuff was changed in that same module and the rattle comes back and I don't have the time or energy to reflash the modules to get rid of a rattle on cold start after a tune flash.

OP
OP
RaptorSwede

RaptorSwede

Reaction score
Does it go away after some times or if you change exhaust modes? Mine has a very similar reoccurring sound and it is from the exhaust valves and goes away after a few mins. It can be fixed with the TSB 22-2388 if so. The big thing here when I had mine done was the PCM (or BCM) update that came with the TSB since I guess that controls the valve position. I only learned this because after I flashed my tune, it seemed some stuff was changed in that same module and the rattle comes back and I don't have the time or energy to reflash the modules to get rid of a rattle on cold start after a tune flash.
Thanks for your input. Yes, as soon as I switch to Drive or Reverse (still standing still) the ticking/rattle sound dissapears. Not sure if it dissapears if I let it idle for a long time, but the few times I've started the car remotely and gone to it like 5-10 min afterwards, it's still been doing the ticking sound.
Sounds on you like it's nothing serious, I will look into the TSB 22-2388. Totally newbie at this, but hopefully it'll be fine. Thanks again.