Texas Raptor Run questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Mike TexaSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol I got a co pilot but another friend that wants to go. Already did the mid perch 8 hr after driving it off the lot! Rides way better than stock!

So how does the raptor run work? I know there are classes for experience. I already hauled ass and jumped on the beach. Hit some deep sand. I'm not a moron. So am I a pro driver?

I assume a staggered start. Do we get a pre run- walk through or is this just let her eat? Are there traffic jams on the track?

Night runs. I want to add a 20" rigid in stock bumper. Is that enough light plus the stock hids.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
I'm on my phone so ill keep it short.

There is no limit on how many people in the truck. I personally think middle back seat is the best seAt in the house.

Sprsnk has some good suggestions. The track is open till midnight so lighting is good. I ran a rigid 20" in my bumper for a long time by itself with great results.

Looking forward to having you out.

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

No prerun. 30 sec between truck. Classes are dynamic. So after the first lap if you're passing people. Move up a class. The classes will be covered in great detail at the event.

OP
OP
M

Mike TexaSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the average speed? And you can pass!

Trying not to get addicted to another Motorsport.........must not build trophy truck....must not...

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I wouldn't say your a pro. Hitting the Beach and hitting Texana are 2 entirely different things

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ran it last year, my first time doing "real" off roading other than dirt biking when I was a kid.

some take aways I had:

1. C group was a good group for the first run, let you feel out your pace without someone running up on you

2. Drive AROUND, not through, again AROUND the big puddles. while they are a blast to go through, you can't wash your truck till you get home, and then you will spend 7+ hours getting West texas off of it.

3. If you have a CAI - make sure it is securely on, and you get a prefilter for it, otherwise go back to the stock airbox

4. Stay on the trail. There was only one turn on the entire thing where if you weren't paying attention you would inherit a reminder on the side of your truck from the trip. Other than that I just got dirty/dusty - no scratches

5. If you are running the stock skid plate, find someone at the TRR that is selling theirs and buy it. Trust me or ask Rich

6. Bring a gas can or watch your gas carefully. I was getting about 6 mpg on the course and my 5 gallon can saved me when I rolled off the track on fumes.

7. Air compressor is a good thing to have, you'll air down your tires for the run then back up for hwy driving.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In a baja race the first goal is to make it across the finish line how fast you did it is next. hot laps in nascar is the same as pre running in baja. you get the feel for it first than go balls out. this way you don't kill your self out the gate.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran it last year, my first time doing "real" off roading other than dirt biking when I was a kid.

some take aways I had:

1. C group was a good group for the first run, let you feel out your pace without someone running up on you

2. Drive AROUND, not through, again AROUND the big puddles. while they are a blast to go through, you can't wash your truck till you get home, and then you will spend 7+ hours getting West texas off of it.

3. If you have a CAI - make sure it is securely on, and you get a prefilter for it, otherwise go back to the stock airbox

4. Stay on the trail. There was only one turn on the entire thing where if you weren't paying attention you would inherit a reminder on the side of your truck from the trip. Other than that I just got dirty/dusty - no scratches

5. If you are running the stock skid plate, find someone at the TRR that is selling theirs and buy it. Trust me or ask Rich

6. Bring a gas can or watch your gas carefully. I was getting about 6 mpg on the course and my 5 gallon can saved me when I rolled off the track on fumes.

7. Air compressor is a good thing to have, you'll air down your tires for the run then back up for hwy driving.

Great tips/suggestions!! :happy160: