Spyder Smoked LED TailLight install:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys. My Smoked Spyder LED Taillights came in today and I thought I would write up the install for people who might be considering this mod. The tail lights came packaged very well. They were wrapped in plastic and then surrounded by self-expanding foam.

IMG_0644.png
IMG_0643.png

The electronics on them looked pretty nice though I didn’t see any Phillips markings as was mentioned by dawing.
IMG_0649.png
IMG_0650.png
IMG_0651.png
IMG_0652.png
IMG_0653.png

I also ordered 921 LEDs (back up lights) from Super Bright LEDs. These were the brightest ones that they sold and you will see below they are not even close to bright enough. It was a risk I took and worth the 10 bucks to find out.

IMG_0657.png
IMG_0669.png

The mistake I made with this install was not taping the edge in the body below the taillight. It is almost impossible to pull the tail light out gracefully without it dragging on the body. I slightly chipped both of the edges below my tail lights when removing them. I didn’t notice until it was too late.
Tailights are removed with a 5/16 nut driver (or socket) by opening the tailgate and removing the two screws pictured below:

IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

Then remove the tail light by pulling it straight back (rearward) to unclasp the two snaps. It pulls free rather violently (or did for me at least). You will then see the 3 connections to the back of the lamp:
You can unclip the bottom and top connector and unscrew the reverse light bulb from the housing by turning it counter clockwise. Make sure to retain the rubber blue washer for the reverse light bulb. Mine wanted to fall off for some reason when I went to un-screw it.

IMG_0666.JPG

That is pretty much all there is to it. You simply re-install the new tail light in the reverse order.
So here is the LED bulb I tried for the reverse light. As you can see… not going to cut it…

IMG_0686.jpg
IMG_0687.jpg

I seemed to remember seeing SilverStar 921s at Autozone so I very nicely asked the 8.5 month prego wife to stop by the store on her way home and grab me a set. You can see what happens to you if you don’t ask nicely:

IMG_0648.JPG

My wife recently took him to have his balls removed… Poor bastard.

IMG_0690.png

So I removed the taillight again to install these. You’ll notice the tape this time. The Silverstar is on the right and the ford factory is on the left.

IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

Here is the finished product. I especially like the two LEDs that light up the side of the taillights.

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0703.JPG

IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG[IMG]

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice write up! I ordered LED Taillights myself. I appreciate the note about the tape.

I will be installing next Tuesday when they get here.

Thanx again!

Looks Sharp!

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I installed mine today and they look good.

I have a problem, though.

The brake lights and running lights work ok however the turn signals are very fast. I have double checked to make sure everything is plugged tight. What could be the cause?

What is the fix or do I have to send them back?

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I installed mine today and they look good.

I have a problem, though.

The brake lights and running lights work ok however the turn signals are very fast. I have double checked to make sure everything is plugged tight. What could be the cause?

What is the fix or do I have to send them back?

It sounds like your resistors are not working properly. Since LEDs use less power than traditional incandescent bulbs, they require resistors so that they add load to the system. Without resistors, the signals blink much faster to indicate that a bulb is out. Something isn't right with your setup. Either the resistors are not working right or they were not included.