SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger, Tracker and Emergency Locator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the Spot Connect... I love it! Works great, tracks progress well, and is sure a nice peace of mine!

They've recently released some updates too which make it more reliable and less buggy, as the earlier versions had complaints of...

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
BigJ, or others
What are your thoughts of this product now that time has past by?
Now they have the spot connect and app, any advantage/disadvantage. There looks be another added fee, but you could text (little) even when out of cell coverage.
Was also wondering if this could be powered by the truck, with reducer and mounted semi-inconspicuously and if you set the tracking on each day and if stollen could help find our trucks???

Lou
Hey Lou,
We've renewed our subscription twice since this thread was started. The SPOT goes with me on all trips, not just 4x4 trips. I take it hiking, backpacking, road tripping, even most recently RVing. And I've lent it out to friends who've taken it too. This thing gets used perhaps once a month for a few days or more.

Which brings up why, for me, the added features of the app (SPOT Connect) don't really make sense. Yeah, I love the idea of being able to send custom texts, but everything else about it bugs me. Having a rugged waterproof device that you can literally throw around, not have to configure, not have to pair with anything else, and lend out not worrying will get damaged? That's a very nice thing.

The device I have can't be externally powered which, again, I don't really regret. The batteries on this guy last forever. I think I've had to replace them 4 times in the past two years and I would say its been on and tracking perhaps a total of a month in that time. Not bad at all.

One unexpected benefit of having the SPOT is that tracker; I knew it would be cool but I didn't realize how cool. Seriously, being able to send a link to my mom, so she can keep an eye on where I'm at when out exploring? It doesn't do me much good, but it sure brings her comfort, and even a little enjoyment. She doesn't get out much these days, so instead she tends to sit and worry. Having something she can click in on and see where her boy is at any time? Incredibly valuable. The same can be said for my wife's family too.

Being able to only send two different preconfigured texts hasn't been as big of a bummer as I'd thought for those receiving them. Its turned out to be more about just being alerted I'm thinking about whoever, or that all is well at that moment... what is actually said really hasn't mattered so much as something being said (texted) at all.

All in all this has been one hell of a good investment for us. We'll continue to renew and use it. I did look into their newer devices last time, but came away still feeling good about the stand alone ultra rugged device we have. Less is more in this case, in my opinion, and this one shows no signs of failing us any time soon.

Hope that helps! And thanks for the reminder to update on how its working out.

onesickpuppy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow, That is great to hear you still like and use it. It sounded almost too good (other than annual fees) I do feel torn on the one like BlueSTI has or the regular. Not that I need to update FB that much LOL
I see a wife hint for Xmas coming. It does sound like a peace of mind all the way around!

Thanks guys for you input. Hope to update which route I go...

Lou

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

Oh, forgot, is there any hidden things to be aware of? Like can only use it once a month with 4 full moons, you know....

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
My spot goes everywhere with me. Hiking, Baja, boating, everywhere. I've never had to use anything other than tracking or an OK message. Battery lasts 6 months plus when not tracking.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh, forgot, is there any hidden things to be aware of? Like can only use it once a month with 4 full moons, you know....
Not with the plan and unit I have. I suppose their could be some gotcha's with the Connect if you go over the allotted text message count though, so watch out for that.

+1 what trey said about battery life. My numbers are a little agressive since I usually leave the tracking on 24/7 when I'm out. You could easily double or triple the tracking run times I'm getting if you turned it off when you're not moving or settled down for the night or whatever.

onesickpuppy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Guys,
This is excellant feed back, sounds like this is the way to go. Thanks bigJ, Trey and Blue...
I did not expect to hear battery lives anywhere near what you claim, that is a bonus in my book. That is why I asked about powering from larger source, but appears that is not needed.
Love the forum and you guys rock....

Lou

onesickpuppy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Okay, I ended getting the spot connect. Likes and dislikes: it does tracking as advertised, sent ok and texts with no proble, even to text, email and Facebook (don't hate FB). The website to setup messages, contacts and such could be a bit more friendly/intuitive, but I figured it out fairly quick. The BT part if I get too far from the sat unit takes a bit to reconnect, but will after some time, seems like this should be faster, oh well. All in all I am happy with the unit. Seems to be built fairly tough and battery life exceeeded my thoughts. I did get some text time package, but may drop that at renewal, we will see.
Lou