Speed limiter 107mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speed ratings factor in many things for the tires. How long they can travel at that speed before they get too hot and pose a risk of blowing out. How much weight they are rated for at that speed.

These tires probably can go upwards of 140-150 mph with a empty truck for like 5 minutes before they get to hot and become unstable. But i'm not an engineer... I don't seee taking these tires to like 120 for a a few minutes poses very little risk to them.... but you are in a tall 5500 lbs truck going 120 mph... that's dangerous!!!

Last edited:

TornadoRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You may lose thread chunks down to the belts just before the blow outs, so when you feel n hear the tires shredding it's time to back it down and buy new tires if you're lucky. Buying higher speed rated tires and ensure balancing at higher speed 100 plus will help save this from happening, you won't be balanced for normal driving. But you will love how smooth she handles over a hundred if they are properly balanced@100 plus. Tires balanced @70mph are way out of balance@100 plus.

You'd be amazed by the difference and love how the handling gets better when you hit that just over a hundred sweet spot.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
You may lose thread chunks down to the belts just before the blow outs, so when you feel n hear the tires shredding it's time to back it down and buy new tires if you're lucky. Buying higher speed rated tires and ensure balancing at higher speed 100 plus will help save this from happening, you won't be balanced for normal driving. But you will love how smooth she handles over a hundred if they are properly balanced@100 plus. Tires balanced @70mph are way out of balance@100 plus.

You'd be amazed by the difference and love how the handling gets better when you hit that just over a hundred sweet spot.

How is that possible? Coming from a racing background a balanced tire is balanced. On a road course we have slow tight turns in the 25-30mph range and exceed 150mph+ on the straights. We use the same spin balancers that tire shops use for street tires. There is no low speed and high speed balance.

ManfromSnowyRiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have cruised at 120 or so in my Nissan Titan(limiter kicks in soon after) and it is very comfortable on AT BFGs. That being said those are 32" or so vs 35" and that makes a big difference. I would think the Raptor would be ok at similar speed, but any higher could be dangerous purely due to the larger tire. 35s used to be pretty rough, but 17" rims made a huge difference.

TornadoRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How is that possible? Coming from a racing background a balanced tire is balanced. On a road course we have slow tight turns in the 25-30mph range and exceed 150mph+ on the straights. We use the same spin balancers that tire shops use for street tires. There is no low speed and high speed balance.

On the vehicle balance.
The wheel is balanced to the hub.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the vehicle balance.
The wheel is balanced to the hub.

There is no need to balance on the vehicle. It doesn't make any difference. That process was the norm when vehicles had drum brakes and inner tube tires. Nowadays, every part of the driveline is already balanced independently, from the driveshaft to the brake rotors. If they didn't, then every time the wheel is pulled of the truck (normal rotation, flat tire, brake service, tec.), it would need to be rebalanced.

Balanced is balanced. Period.

D

Deleted member 12951

Looks like fun :) Where in AZ was that? 14' limiter was set to 101. That vid is not even close to 101 but still looks like amazing fun.

That was in Baja. Actually it went over 101. Video doesn't do it justice. Actually that is incorrect on the limiter at 101. I have no tune and my speedometer stops at 110.

7ba21c728093cb741420617d592d3a2f.jpg

TornadoRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Different type of balancing tires, spinning on a vehicle at lift to 100 mph. Tubeless with disc breaks balanced on the vehicle at 100 mph. This is a different way to balance then the way you mentioned. You can see a clear difference in vibration at different speed in this type of balance. Balanced to the sweet spot at the optimal 100 mph speed. The vehicle vibration will be smoothest at 100 mph but less so, at 70, which is still balanced @70 but more dialed in @100. You may seen this and know about it. Seeing is believing.
Not saying your wrong and you are balanced. I'm talking a Different type of balance, on the vehicle with tires screaming n spinning and perfecting the balance to a certain speed. I've seen it and know there is a difference. Optimally tires should be checked for balance when worn and rotated. Check tire pressure often. Especially if you speed.

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

There is no need to balance on the vehicle. It doesn't make any difference. That process was the norm when vehicles had drum brakes and inner tube tires. Nowadays, every part of the driveline is already balanced independently, from the driveshaft to the brake rotors. If they didn't, then every time the wheel is pulled of the truck (normal rotation, flat tire, brake service, tec.), it would need to be rebalanced.

Balanced is balanced. Period.

I think it's called Road Forced balance and it is much better IMO
Tip;
Ask the guy to crank it to the max then balance, only if you speed.

http://www.tirereview.com/when-is-it-overkill/

Even more overkill would be to balance the tires on the vehicle.
With every Vehicle there are varibles.

Last edited:

TornadoRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Different type of balancing tires, spinning on a vehicle at lift to 100 mph. Tubeless with disc breaks balanced on the vehicle at 100 mph. This is a different way to balance then the way you mentioned. You can see a clear difference in vibration at different speed in this type of balance. Balanced to the sweet spot at the optimal 100 mph speed. The vehicle vibration will be smoothest at 100 mph but less so, at 70, which is still balanced @70 but more dialed in @100. You may seen this and know about it. Seeing is believing.
Not saying your wrong and you are balanced. I'm talking a Different type of balance, on the vehicle with tires screaming n spinning and perfecting the balance to a certain speed. I've seen it and know there is a difference. Optimally tires should be checked for balance when worn and rotated. Check tire pressure often. Especially if you speed.

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

I think it's called Road Forced balance and it is much better IMO
Tip;
Ask the guy to crank it to the max then balance, only if you speed.

When is Road Force Balance Overkill?

Even more overkill would be to balance the tires on the vehicle.
With every Vehicle there are varibles.

Just Google
On car high speed tire or wheel balancing

there's plenty of YouTube videos too for those of you who haven't seen it.

This would also help the guys with G2 tire vibration issues.