Spark plugs/100,000 mile service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My 2013 SVT Raptor needed the 16 spark plugs replaced. The Ford dealer and two indipendent repair shops quoted $2,500 - plugs and coils. After doing some research I decided to have the iridium spark plugs replaced - and only any coils that were not up to factory specs. I paid $825 for the sparkplug replacement, a full synthetic oil change and tire rotation. I really like the way the independent shop said they test each coil on plug set. All the coils are 100%. Do some research before you let a Ford dealer charge you close to $3,000. BTW, the new plugs made a huge differeance....My baby hauls as again!

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that info..!! Have 2014 with 72k on it and been thinking of doing before the recommended 100k..even bought the special ratchet extentions to do myself,but after thinking it over and my bad back says..have it done...My question to the group...since the rears are the most problem and tire needs to be taken off..how do we really know if Ford or any independent actually changes them. ?
Thinking shorts and making $$ are top on both and id never bring to Ford,but even my independant who i know,now has gotten big and has workers instead if doing actual work..hummm..mechanic would rather have a long coffee break an bs with workers than tackle thos hard ones...Just wondering if anyone knows how to not get scammed?

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As someone who has done the spark plugs at age 73, I can assure you that the job is very doable at home if you have basic wrenching skills. Only one plug is difficult and it is on the passenger side and is behind the shock tower at the front of the engine. The lower plugs can all be done without removing the front tires or anything else. All lower plugs can be seen and accessed through the wheel well. To make the job easier break it into smaller pieces like groups of four then if you feel like doing more do the next four. The top plugs under the coils are relatively easy to do.

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Thanks for that info..!! Have 2014 with 72k on it and been thinking of doing before the recommended 100k..even bought the special ratchet extentions to do myself,but after thinking it over and my bad back says..have it done...My question to the group...since the rears are the most problem and tire needs to be taken off..how do we really know if Ford or any independent actually changes them. ?
Thinking shorts and making $$ are top on both and id never bring to Ford,but even my independant who i know,now has gotten big and has workers instead if doing actual work..hummm..mechanic would rather have a long coffee break an bs with workers than tackle thos hard ones...Just wondering if anyone knows how to not get scammed?
You can ask to have all the old parts back after the job is done to see that they did change them.

JBR18

Reaction score
Appreciate the insight above and hoping somebody can provide me some guidance. I had 16 spark plugs and 8 coils replaced recently. The charge seems crazy to me? I’m in North Dallas. I was out of town for work and just now finding time to get caught up. Should I raise a concern with the pricing? I was happy with service and results, but $3,217 is a bit much.

2014 Raptor

Attachments

• 73094264058__C3F711A5-8F82-4AED-AC23-639F1B168E28.jpeg
    73094264058__C3F711A5-8F82-4AED-AC23-639F1B168E28.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 37

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Appreciate the insight above and hoping somebody can provide me some guidance. I had 16 spark plugs and 8 coils replaced recently. The charge seems crazy to me? I’m in North Dallas. I was out of town for work and just now finding time to get caught up. Should I raise a concern with the pricing? I was happy with service and results, but $3,217 is a bit much.

2014 Raptor
Dude to say you got screwed would be an under statement.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As someone who has done the spark plugs at age 73, I can assure you that the job is very doable at home if you have basic wrenching skills. Only one plug is difficult and it is on the passenger side and is behind the shock tower at the front of the engine. The lower plugs can all be done without removing the front tires or anything else. All lower plugs can be seen and accessed through the wheel well. To make the job easier break it into smaller pieces like groups of four then if you feel like doing more do the next four. The top plugs under the coils are relatively easy to do.
Me too at 68 years of age at the time. You need a good selection of socket set extensions, a u-joint extension and/or wobble extensions, and a real good spark plug boot puller. Every one of my always garaged Raptor's spark plugs had evidence of lite rust on the threads, so some anti-seize grease is in order, and spark plug boot grease is recommended. DO NOT TRUST THE GAPS ON THE NEW PLUGS. Gap them yourself together all at once before you even start the job.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anti-seize on spark plugs is not recomended, you want full contact with the block for a good ground. If the OP has deep pockets and as stated he was pleased with the work done, the truck is running good so all is good.

JBR18

Reaction score
Dude to say you got screwed would be an under statement.

I was thinking the same, then I saw the Coil price. Unfortunately, I bet none of them were bad.
Thank you both. Ultimately, I’m accountable for getting overcharged, however I want to make a “fair” request. What would fair look like to you? I’ll own the mistake, but shouldn’t feel ripped off.

It’s probably not likely, but I’d like to bring this to their attention the right way. Is it:
1) Credit / Discount for unnecessary parts to an acceptable $$ amount?
2) Anywhere I should specifically be focused on for discussing (Cost of parts, actual need for parts, etc…)

Very much appreciated, valuable learning experience, and why this group is amazing. Hoping I can contribute in some way for others in the future.