September 3rd Raptor Assault Course

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christopher Manns

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of posts about the RA course and whether it was worth it/of value.
I attended yesterday with 19 other owners of '18 and '19 model year trucks, and I gotta say the overall experience was excellent.

One of the "complaints" I saw was that the offroading wasn't particularly challenging. It wasn't super technical, I'll concede that, but the point of the offroad section was to highlight truck capabilities to a mix of driver skill levels, not to go on a wheeling day trip :).

In terms of showing truck capabilities, the offroad sections basically did that. The instructors provided commentary and guidance via radio, suggesting speed and driving mode (and in some cases line of attack).

I did a few things that I probably wouldn't have tried in my own truck (while this truck is a "toy", I personally can't afford to casually tear it up) unless I knew it could do it. And now I know :pepper:.

The new agility course and the .9mi Baja course are not super long, but I saw a number of people, besides myself with wide grins and we tried out different things in a safe space.

And yes, we did jump the trucks, however, having never previously purposely removed the wheels of any of my vehicles from the ground, I feel I could have done better.

That was kinda rambly, but my point was supposed to be to take advantage of the course if you at all can. I think everyone there learned SOMETHING, and if they didn't, at least they got to sit in a truck on 31 degree side slope and have the instructor yank on the truck to demonstrate how much more safety margin there was.:eek:

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They still limiting you to 30-40 on the 'baja' section?

You can hit roads like that at 80, and I know for a fact at least one of the instructors there has done so.

OP
OP
Christopher Manns

Christopher Manns

Reaction score
They still limiting you to 30-40 on the 'baja' section?

You can hit roads like that at 80, and I know for a fact at least one of the instructors there has done so.
We were "Limited to 40" but with 18 turns I found it challenging to get much faster than that. I might have hit 50mph when I got a corner just right and could get some exit speed up until the next turn. I don't know how you'd get to 80 on the new course, instructor or not.

If you're talking about the Pony Express track, it looked arrow straight from the mountain top, I think a 40 limit ther wouldb e "frustrating" :)

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great post. I'm in Houston so I've been debating on whether to go to the course. I'm leaning heavily on going now. However, when I check the website, the sessions are always full. I've sent e-mails for more information but no responses. I'll be calling next to see if I can catch someone there. Any tips on how to sign up?

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with the Ford Performance Racing folks and they said that all sessions for the remainder of this year are full and there is a huge waiting list. So nothing will be available until next year. :(

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with the Ford Performance Racing folks and they said that all sessions for the remainder of this year are full and there is a huge waiting list. So nothing will be available until next year. :(

That said....You should still check the website daily as people do cancel.