SCT Tuner Issues w/Aftermarket Amp???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
jkscuba

jkscuba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So an update to this... I waited until headers & intake were installed before trying to tune my truck again - went even worse this time. Immediately threw an error code on the tuner so called in to SCT again. They got that cleared up over the computer and said I need to run the return to stock even though no other tune has made it in yet. So I had the battery charger hooked up as per their recommendation last time and away we went. Gets about half way through downloading the return to stock and bam - threw another error. This time the dash lights up like a Christmas tree so I unhook (per their instruction) and the truck won't even try to crank. Go back to the computer and they upload a recovery file into the tuner - go back to the truck and try again & error code immediately. Find the fuse for the amp - pull it and try again. Return to stock program goes in flawlessly. Tech support says shouldn't have any issues installing the tunes now...

Well it did. Set up the truck the same way and tried to load the tune. Threw another error code while trying to install the tune. Dash lit up again and truck dead in the water. Talked to SCT for another hour and finally got the recovery program in after unhooking the battery charger but keeping the fuse to the amp out. Tech talked to their engineers afterwards and called me back to tell me that they test at 14.1 amps so the battery charger should not have hurt it. They are looking into it and will call me back in a couple days or so. Even though the device and custom tunes looked good they might want to bring it in to look at it. As far as I'm concerned they can keep it...

TL;DR - my truck and the tuner hate each other... And I'm out - no tune for me!