SCARY "almost" no start...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only crank issue I ever have randomly out of the blue ...remote start....crank sound then nothing.... no idea why this happens but that's literally the only issue I've ever had cranking my truck....odd for sure.. maybe fuse 27.....no idea on the fuel flap....I put a bottle of fuel treatment in with a funnel about every 10k miles..sometimes every other fill up....no issues ever using a funnel...let us know if you figure it out
Are you referring to the remote start attempt where it starts to crank, then fails? And once it fails it won’t remote start? Mine sometimes does that and I learned it’s usually because I wasn’t close enough to the truck. The problem is once it fails I have to key start it and even after that it may or may not work next time, it’s so random. For now I quit trying to remote start it from across the parking lot and that has helped a lot. The last time it failed I was less than 25 feet away. I use to be able to remote start it across the parking lot (about 100ft). It’s just one of the quirks of getting old I guess. (I’m referring to the truck and not myself, although the same could be said)

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you referring to the remote start attempt where it starts to crank, then fails? And once it fails it won’t remote start? Mine sometimes does that and I learned it’s usually because I wasn’t close enough to the truck. The problem is once it fails I have to key start it and even after that it may or may not work next time, it’s so random. For now I quit trying to remote start it from across the parking lot and that has helped a lot. The last time it failed I was less than 25 feet away. I use to be able to remote start it across the parking lot (about 100ft). It’s just one of the quirks of getting old I guess. (I’m referring to the truck and not myself, although the same could be said)
Yes exactly, however mine does it sometimes if I'm close to the truck also..I wonder if it could be the batteries in the key.....but that wouldn't make sense since it's already initialized the start process......i think lol...my f150 would do this also btw....

OP
OP
rschap1

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was sitting in the driver's seat when I tried the remote instead of key in ignition.
It acted the same as when I turned key.
Cranked, engine spun, but no fire, no start.
That was when I got out opened the fused box and started wiggling fuses and relays.
Got back in, re-inserted key, turned, started, all was good, and has been since.

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder what fuse or relay might have been the culprit. I've posted before that if I remote start I will get 2 DTC codes if I check it with my x4 tuner....but never a CEL. I'm wondering if I need to clean the ground points truly and see if that's possibly the issue.

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was sitting in the driver's seat when I tried the remote instead of key in ignition.
It acted the same as when I turned key.
Cranked, engine spun, but no fire, no start.
That was when I got out opened the fused box and started wiggling fuses and relays.
Got back in, re-inserted key, turned, started, all was good, and has been since.
Did you pay attention to the specific ones you messed with ? Or just grab and shake method like a teenager just hitting puberty lol

OP
OP
rschap1

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It was a random shaking.
I did not even recall which fuse was an issue and gets relocated when it happened.
Just wiggled them all.

OP
OP
rschap1

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did the fuse relocation yesterday.
Went well.
Last week I pulled fuse #27 and saw a little discoloring/brown along one leg.
When I removed it yesterday, it looked a lot worse than a few days earlier.
Still don't know if I will ever know 100% for sure what the trouble was with it not starting previously, BUT...
Glad I did the fuse fix after seeing the old fuse yesterday.

Attachments

• 20230605_080404.jpg
    20230605_080404.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230605_080414.jpg
    20230605_080414.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230605_080431.jpg
    20230605_080431.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1

ratty

Reaction score
Next time it won't start, pop the hood and just disconnect the MAF sensor and see if it'll start. A dirty or damaged MAF sensor will give an incorrect signal to your computer, telling it to lean out the fuel charge to the point that it just won't run (or, make it go too rich, but I think the most common is going too lean)