Reverse perch, am i the first?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the research I did before buying my Raptor and then again when I was debating about mid perch I found a couple of articles (one I thought somewhere on the FRF forum) that said when the engineers designed and tested the prototyped Raptors that it was all done at mid perch, all steering, shock, and suspension engineered around it. When they went for final Dot the headlights were too high and they had No other choice but to drop it to the low perch setting. That's why most Raptor owners love their mid perch setting with stock shock as the is the way it was designed to be ran. Now when you go to aftermarket shocks I'm guessing the shock company's do there own engineering/testing and have their rideheigth set up for what works best for them...

Hard to believe that the engineering and testing was all done at mid perch, only to be undone at the 11th hour because of a DOT regulation. The whole department would have been fired for such an oversight. No way they would have designed and then done all thier tests on a set up that was not compliant with DOT.

This all said, someone please find this DOT regulation. I don't think you will find it, I have read that there are no such DOT regs for light trucks.

No mid perch for me until I do the back, or simply upgrade the front shocks and the back as well

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hard to believe that the engineering and testing was all done at mid perch, only to be undone at the 11th hour because of a DOT regulation. The whole department would have been fired for such an oversight. No way they would have designed and then done all thier tests on a set up that was not compliant with DOT.

This all said, someone please find this DOT regulation. I don't think you will find it, I have read that there are no such DOT regs for light trucks.

No mid perch for me until I do the back, or simply upgrade the front shocks and the back as well

You are right. The DOT regulation explanation is false. And so is the claim that SVT tested the Raptor on mid perch. This was all answered in an open interview with Jamal Hameedi that was documented by a member of this forum. I believe it was GMcmanus or Yukon Joe.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm at mp and am either buying springs or going back to bp

Last edited:

Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, well if Jamal said..... It must be true.

Jamal would not have a job if he allowed his team to waste time and money testing a set up that was not DOT compliant to begin with. But tell me cups, why would the engineers test a non DOT compliant set up on this truck

Oh, and i will fedex you you ten Oz of silver if you can find the fabled 'mid perch killing' DOT regulation which forced the regulatory challenged SVT design team to switch the truck from mid purch to low purch

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One of the things Jamal did say when answering that question was "I don't understand why people would want to limit the shocks travel by changing the perch setting"

They showed us quite a few charts and data plots from shock mounted instrumentation that indicated that the Ford team did a lot of in-depth testing and tweaks.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

DieselD

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mid p is just a bandaid as far as I'm concerned. If you need the height or increased off road performance buy springs. The longer I ride around on mid the more I hate it.

6cuda6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if I read this correctly one should upgrade springs and shocks if they want to improve handling, increase or level the truck but maintain ride quality?