GEN 1 Replacing Spark Plugs on Roush 2013

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruckus08

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Well, this is my first attempt at formally giving back to the FRF community. Just got my 2013 Roush a few months ago. Hopefully this is helpful to someone. I recently purchased the 700hp JDM upgrade kit and installed it over the weekend. I am happy to answer any questions about the overall install but thought I’d specifically post about replacing the spark plugs as it was…painful because of the SC.

Tools I used for the job:
· 5/16” socket, both 3/8” and ¼” (used for coil pack removals and 90 degree spacer between Throttle Body and SC—this, this is the painful part)
· 5/16” wrench (ratcheting if you have it)
· ¼” to 3/8” conversion socket
· 3/8” extensions- 10”, 6”, 3” if you have them (you may need to use ½” instead or have a breaker bar handy to get some of the plugs loose)
· ¼” extensions- 6” and 3” (you can probably get by with 3” only. Used these for the last two bolts behind the TB spacer)
· 6” Swivel spark plug socket (LIFE SAVER)
· 3/8” swivel joint
· (Optional) Air compressor and blow gun (I highly recommend blowing out the area around the coil packs and plug ports before starting this job)

It took me a little less than 3 hrs to complete 14 of the 16 spark plugs and then another 3 hrs to get the damn throttle body spacer off to get to the last two. If I did it over again I could do the job in 4hrs with the info below.
· You’ll need to remove the air intake completely. For the Roush intake it may be easier to remove the throttle body with the intake (I did anyway because I installed the Ford Racing 65mm TB) as the intake hose clamp tensioning bolt may be underneath the hose and impossible to reach.
· I recommend lifting the front end to get to the lower 8 plugs. I did those first, beginning with passenger side.
· I had to use the 10” extension with the 6” swivel plug socket for rear most plug on both sides, everything else I used the 6” extension with the swivel socket
· Once the bottoms were complete I lowered the front end and started on the top 8 plugs
· All but the rear most two on the drivers side were fairly straightforward- used the extensions with the swivel socket and the deed was done pretty quickly. I recommend doing them one by one- reduces the amount of gunk that may fall into the plug ports.
· Now to the difficult part. Removing the throttle body spacer was painful. The top front facing bolt was the only one easy to get to. For the front lower bolt I used a 5/16” wrench because of the space.
· REMEMBER, the rear bolts only need to be loosened enough to pull the spacer out. DO NOT remove them.
· There is also a small boost bypass hose at the back of the spacer that you’ll need to wrap your hand around and pull off the nipple coming off the back of the TB spacer, identifies below
9edee8ac1d5b421f213767aaf07e0502.jpg
· For the rear bolts I used the ¼” 6” extension, a ¼” to 3/8” conversion attachment and the 3/8” swivel joint, another 6” extension for the bottom bolt, and a Milwaukee 3/8” M12 ratchet (very hard to get a regular ratchet in that space). I literally had to lay a piece of cardboard over the engine, lay on top of the engine from radiator to SC.
I also removed the VMV valve completely from the spacer. You may not need to but it’s only two bolts and gives a lot more room to play around
e37a59ad590f0510b05d0bc329fc4fcd.jpg
· For the top, rear bolt you should be able to slide a ¼” extension and 5/16” socket right over the top of the TB spacer and get it loose fairly easy.
· For the bottom rear bolt, I disconnected my JLT oil separator (PCV line on passenger side)
12d975a52578677cf13ba747779e7d83.jpg
to get more room and wrapped my left arm around the left side of the SC until I could feel the rear most bottom bolt, guided the extension with my right hand around the back of the 90 degree spacer until I could line the socket up with my left hand to the bolt. There is a hose that runs right about in front of the bolt, making it even trickier. I had to do all I could to push the hose down with the extension while lining it up to the bolt
· Once you finally get the socket on the bolt and loosen it, you just need it loose enough to pull the spacer forward
· Once complete, now you can remove the last two coil packs on the driver’s side and complete the job.
· Once plugs are installed, re-install the coil packs, insert the TB spacer back onto the rear bolts that you loosened, tighten the bolts that you can, then climb back onto the engine and line that socket back up with the rear bolt and tighten that bad boy down.
· DON’T forget to re-connect the small boost bypass hose to the nipple on the back of the TB spacer!
· Reinstall all applicable hoses/electrical connectors that you may have disconnected underneath the air intake before re-installing it.
· Re-install the air intake and all appropriate hoses and wires.

There you have it folks. Please ask any questions and I will be happy to try and answer. I’m also certain that most folks on the forum are more thoughtful than I about some of this so feel free to opine. My next endeavor is the ICON Stage 3 kit and I’m thinking of doing write up of the install if not redundant.

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, the memories. Not quite as painful as the headers, but definitely number two on the list of maintenance/upgrades you’ll do on this truck.

Great write up. I don’t think I could add anything to it. Right on track as to what it takes to change the spark plugs on a Roush. ( I should have gone Whipple :banghead:)

OP
OP
Ruckus08

Ruckus08

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yah...my wife had to console my 3 year old because he was afraid the Raptor was eating me. It was quite the theatrical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mineratron

Reaction score
Great write up… I’m currently trying to get the supercharger u-bend rear bolt loosened off… sounds like you were lying perpendicular to the motor?

I can barely get my right arm in…. it’s a nightmare setup. Fingers crossed for me. ‍

Mineratron

Reaction score
Got the rear lower bolt off… found it much harder than the upper rear one to be honest. Got it with a combination of 1/4” & 3/8” fittings. The lower one with 3/8”.

I tried going from the drivers side after trying from the front for ages, tearing my right arm up and shouting f@ck! At least four times. :p After reading the post again I went in this way…

8B610051-F49A-48F9-82D5-4084ACB4FCE3.jpeg

It’s not a breeze, it’s still a massive **** to get… but if you unplug 5&6 coils you can get your left arm along the bank and underneath the bend to steady the socket.

Don’t go over the block…

4B59678F-557E-4792-9A01-353C8D0CBA03.jpeg
You’ll end up looking like this for not much return…:emotions122::fc5716bd::dogpile:

6E8546A5-A44B-4CE2-9A24-C3122F75C34C.jpeg
The coil plugs on mine were choked with sand… contact cleaner, compressed air and patience. The red tabs slide back so you can push the clips down, I used a plastic trim tool to minimise the risk of breaking them.

I took the arch liners out… a few mins well spent IMHO… much easier, only the one at the strut mount that’s a pain the arse.

978E3627-8073-4F41-AB4A-0F7A99E0982F.jpeg
27479583-696B-468E-A213-B7260FE01D3D.jpeg
I had success going either side of that centre line. Makes changing the breather non return valve on the bank 1 rocker cover really easy too.

Mine is a 2014 Stage 2 Roush but if I find anything else helpful I’ll add it here. Will be cleaning the throttle body, MAF sensor, etc when I’m here as well.

StangGT5

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the rear lower bolt off… found it much harder than the upper rear one to be honest. Got it with a combination of 1/4” & 3/8” fittings. The lower one with 3/8”.

I tried going from the drivers side after trying from the front for ages, tearing my right arm up and shouting f@ck! At least four times. :p After reading the post again I went in this way…

View attachment 417637

It’s not a breeze, it’s still a massive **** to get… but if you unplug 5&6 coils you can get your left arm along the bank and underneath the bend to steady the socket.

Don’t go over the block…

View attachment 417638
You’ll end up looking like this for not much return…:emotions122::fc5716bd::dogpile:

View attachment 417639
The coil plugs on mine were choked with sand… contact cleaner, compressed air and patience. The red tabs slide back so you can push the clips down, I used a plastic trim tool to minimise the risk of breaking them.

I took the arch liners out… a few mins well spent IMHO… much easier, only the one at the strut mount that’s a pain the arse.

View attachment 417640
View attachment 417641
I had success going either side of that centre line. Makes changing the breather non return valve on the bank 1 rocker cover really easy too.

Mine is a 2014 Stage 2 Roush but if I find anything else helpful I’ll add it here. Will be cleaning the throttle body, MAF sensor, etc when I’m here as well.
I just went through this recently. At 73K miles, I found at least 4 lower plugs with the metal center separated from the rest of the plug. They just slid out with the boots. I found crawling under the truck and reaching up was the easier way to get the rearmost lower plugs on each side.

Mineratron

Reaction score
Anyone gone with a different interval for the plug change on the Stage 2 Roush?

My thoughts are that the 100k (miles) mark is a little far for the Roush to run sweetly… 60-70k feels like a better mark… but bugger doing that more often than its really needed. o_O:Big Laugh:

Mineratron

Reaction score
Truck back up and running better than it ever has… runs and idles so smooth now, I‘d even say it sounds better, cleaner and more balanced.

No other major feedback... refitting the components is a lot easier once you’ve sussed out how to remove them. Refitting the 90deg bend into the blower is still a **** of a job though… one for a skinny mechanic. :Big Laugh: