Remove In-Cabin Air Filter Box to Access Wiring Grommet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsouth5

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to remove the plastic box that holds the in-cabin air filter on a Gen 3? Trying to run radio and other wiring from the engine compartment to the cabin and getting through the grommet on the pass side firewall is a bi*. Other suggestions welcome...I need to get 4x 12 gauge wires for the 110w VHF radio and the Switch Pros harness through there. Thanks in advance...I know one of you has the silver bullet!

slater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a grommet on the GEN 2 on the passenger side behind the bottom kick plate. I ran my strobe wiring through there. I am willing to bet that the same pathway still exists. Had to remove the passenger fender flare and a portion of the inner wheel liner to access it wasn't too bad. Disclaimer no idea if that exists on GEN3 I haven't transferred my strobes to the new truck yet.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s a blank flat rubber grommet on the passenger side. Punch a hole in it and stick a pulled wire through. On the interior, remove that felt cover below the glove box to get better access. I believe there’s some control module that you’ll need to loosed and you can pull the carpet up a little to get your hand behind there. Should be able to find your pull wire there. I used a 12g solid wire as a pull wire, flexible enough to pass through but also rigid enough to poke around.

The interior part is the easy end, getting started on the engine bay is a bit harder. The grommet is about mid way on the firewall so it’s equally difficult to reach from the top or bottom. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to pull an additional wire through and leave it as a pull wire for future mods.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I ran my Switch Pro wire through the passanger side grommet. Have to cut the nipple off, also had to run a small drill bit through it.

20230215_091940.jpg

Ran my radio power wires through the passanger side floor board. Pushed out a grommet and ran the wires up the fender well.

20220218_140427.jpg

Edit: sorry, thought this was a Gen 2. But the locations might still be worth a look.

OP
OP
J

jsouth5

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. This is a gen 3, but I'll take a look. The under hood portion is tough and, to make matters worse, I need to get the Switch Pros bundle through there (4x 14ga/16ga), a couple of power leads for a 110w radio (2x12ga? and 1x16ga), and 14ga for chase light. What's that, 8 wires...should be fun. I usually put everything in a loom of some sort...probably no room for that here, at least through the grommet.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. This is a gen 3, but I'll take a look. The under hood portion is tough and, to make matters worse, I need to get the Switch Pros bundle through there (4x 14ga/16ga), a couple of power leads for a 110w radio (2x12ga? and 1x16ga), and 14ga for chase light. What's that, 8 wires...should be fun. I usually put everything in a loom of some sort...probably no room for that here, at least through the grommet.
I’ve got about the same, it wasn’t terrible. Chase light wires, 110w Kenwood, Weboost power, and Spod cat5. All individually run with heat shrink and fabric loom cover for each. Was able to fit that all through the same grommet.

OP
OP
J

jsouth5

Reaction score
I’ve got about the same, it wasn’t terrible. Chase light wires, 110w Kenwood, Weboost power, and Spod cat5. All individually run with heat shrink and fabric loom cover for each. Was able to fit that all through the same grommet.
Oh, interesting. Did you use the large grommet or the smaller one down to the right of it? I'm thinking I may drill a new hole, add a grommet and seal it. It looks easy enough to get to through the fender well and allows the hole to be below the heater fan but still up under the dash.