Rear leaf - different size bolts?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have visited Home Depot Several (3) times attempting, patiently, repeatedly, to purchase the combo wrench for this very elusive leaf-to-shackle nut. Each time, I buy the wrong wrench! So I go BACK to the returns counter and repeat the process. Some days I try a standard wrench, next day I'll go metric.

Guessing, like a blind ******* (no offense to the polish) chasing his tail. When the returns lady see me, she's like "Here's the guy that uses a new tool once and returns it"

(which I hear there's a compulsive disorder for people who do this obsessively. not me of course)

Please someone, for the love of <insert idol reference- in my case> Chuck Norris, TELL me the size of the OEM nut.

I'm afraid to even buy a whole set (Without knowing its size) for fear that it's not actually in THAT set.

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have visited Home Depot Several (3) times attempting, patiently, repeatedly, to purchase the combo wrench for this very elusive leaf-to-shackle nut. Each time, I buy the wrong wrench! So I go BACK to the returns counter and repeat the process. Some days I try a standard wrench, next day I'll go metric.

Guessing, like a blind ******* (no offense to the polish) chasing his tail. When the returns lady see me, she's like "Here's the guy that uses a new tool once and returns it"

(which I hear there's a compulsive disorder for people who do this obsessively. not me of course)

Please someone, for the love of <insert idol reference- in my case> Chuck Norris, TELL me the size of the OEM nut.

I'm afraid to even buy a whole set (Without knowing its size) for fear that it's not actually in THAT set.

24mm
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/has-anyone-cured-single-front-end-pop-41632/index2.html

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Note: if you use the OEM driver side fwd bolt and install it from the outside in, you need to shorten the bolt (cut off the nut guide) if not you could puncture your gas tank.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

That was for the gas tank side. The passenger side is different.

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

Note: if you use the OEM driver side fwd bolt and install it from the outside in, you need to shorten the bolt (cut off the nut guide) if not you could puncture your gas tank.

A different part number to order then?

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That was for the gas tank side. The passenger side is different.

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

A different part number to order then?
No, you would have to find a bolt of proper configuration to fit, cut the OEM bolt, or drop the tank and install the OEM bolt as the manufacturer does.

The simplest way is to cut the OEM bolt and install it from the outside in.
Also, with the bolt cut you can simply place a box end wrench over the nut.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks for mentioning that, I did just that and there's literally 1/4 inch to spare. Is it easy to cut it off? What's the best method (or maybe I could have a local shop do it).

I can't imagine puncturing the tank out there in the boonies, that would be a buzzkill