GEN 2 Raptor towing numbers don't add up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GM3SF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you walk us through your sequence of setting up the WDH and air bags please?
Curious as to how you set your bars and add air, or vice versa... I can't get my head wrapped around it.
I've never tried both, have only read about "how difficult it is to use both" and never felt the need for air after properly setting up the WDH.
Great feedback, and 13mpg is incredible! What were you getting with the GEN1 anyway? Whenever I've pulled that kind of weight at any kind of speed, I'm under 10mpg with my 6.2.

I think it would help if you simply think of the airbags as leveling out the truck and not so much as it helping the trailer itself. The WDH then does its job controlling sway and taking some of the stress/weight off the Raptor's hitch receiver and transferring some of that stress/weight to the trailer's frame.
As far as the process goes, I simply hitch up and set the WDH bars. Once I'm in the truck and ready to set off......since I've already previously measured how much air it took to get the truck level, I inflate the airbags to that pre-determined pressure of 30 lbs. I had the onboard air pump installed and in my center console there's a switch to add/release air. Next to the switch is a gauge that allows me to see how much pressure is in the bags.

MPG: I'm by no means conservative and don't care too much when I'm in town. For whatever reason that changes when you're traveling though. Becomes almost a game to see how good one can do really.
Anyway, with the 6.2 we were getting between 10.5 to 11. It really depended on the terrain. We tend to do a lot of driving in the mountains so we obviously lose a lot going up but also gain some coming back down. I found the sweet spot to be around 62 mph (we travel a lot obviously and have found that an extra 5 mph really doesn't help for s#!t when traveling distances. Stop to take a dump and all you did was waste gas.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

So, that is far more "realistic" than the guy with the 7000lb Aero that got 13mpg.

I don't get 13 empty!

He is doing something right, can't wait to see how he does it.

Not sure if you noticed, he said he's doing 77-80 mph. I'm doing just over 60 when towing. Big difference.

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

I was always curious about this but when we originally got the trailer we were also towing with motorcycles in the bed. The adjustability of the airbags was pretty hard to overlook.
Did you by chance measure before and after? How far does it drop?

Jack_Toepfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the updates, definitely sounds like you have it figured out. Keep on trucking!

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RPG stage 2 with 4" bump stops. Easy on, Easy off and exactly what you need. Use with WDH and everything is solid.

Do you need a jack to swap out the bump stops?

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

Cool. Will keep you posted on how it turns out.

Please keep us all posted - it sounds like a great improvement if it really gives back that much travel.

Kowboy17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you need a jack to swap out the bump stops?

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

Please keep us all posted - it sounds like a great improvement if it really gives back that much travel.

Floor jack on the hitch. Raise it up till it sags, unscrew the nut on the 2", drop out, reinstall 4" and let back down. Simple and 15 mins.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It sounds like that's a pita though if you're headed out on a longer trip and want to swap things out at camp.

RPG sells extensions now for the small bump stops - can those be swapped out without lifting the truck or do you still need a jack?

GM3SF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Floor jack on the hitch. Raise it up till it sags, unscrew the nut on the 2", drop out, reinstall 4" and let back down. Simple and 15 mins.

Thanks. It sounds like that's a pita though if you're headed out on a longer trip and want to swap things out at camp.

RPG sells extensions now for the small bump stops - can those be swapped out without lifting the truck or do you still need a jack?

Kowboy, Not to hijack your post, but to answer ovrlnd's question or concern about swapping out at camp, you wouldn't even need the floor jack. You're going to have to use the trailers tongue-jack (motor) to raiser the truck and trailer and remove the weight distribution bars. You should have plenty of room to remove the bump stops that way. At least that's how I saw it when I've lifted the back of mine up.

Kowboy17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kowboy, Not to hijack your post, but to answer ovrlnd's question or concern about swapping out at camp, you wouldn't even need the floor jack. You're going to have to use the trailers tongue-jack (motor) to raiser the truck and trailer and remove the weight distribution bars. You should have plenty of room to remove the bump stops that way. At least that's how I saw it when I've lifted the back of mine up.

You are correct! It's not a issue either way and simple but lifting with trailer jack is very easy.

GM3SF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't think of that - interesting.

You are correct! It's not a issue either way and simple but lifting with trailer jack is very easy.

Yeah especially considering the only time you're swapping it out is WHEN you're hitching up or dropping the trailer. Both instances require using the trailer tongue jack so it's a no brainer if you want to go that route.

dmarkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have my truck yet. I am curious to know if anyone can tell me the weight of a fully loaded Screw w/sunroof and a full tank of gas. I'm interested to know how much payload capacity I'll have remaining without me or any gear in the truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I know this is an old thread but the answer to this was never revealed. I have a 2019 SCREW 802a. This morning I filled it up and went to the dump to weigh it. It weighed 6180lb. I am 200lb and there is a 40lb custom bed cover in the bed. I have added nothing else to it.

6180 - 240 = 5940lb.