GEN 2 Raptor towing numbers don't add up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks, Darin. I really want to see a fully loaded Screw with sunroof and full fuel tank on a truck scale. I have a scale at work, but I won't see my Raptor for a few more months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bassman

Reaction score
I like to pull a 21 foot Phoenix bassboat to the lake about 10-15 times a year (160 miles round trip). Anyone else pull a fully rigged bass boat much with their Gen 1's?

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to pull a 21 foot Phoenix bassboat to the lake about 10-15 times a year (160 miles round trip). Anyone else pull a fully rigged bass boat much with their Gen 1's?

I tow my 24' Yamaha 242LS all summer long loaded with gear and truck full of dogs, gear and kids. My 14 screw works really well with plenty of passing power. My round trips are sometimes 240 miles.

My 11 scab didn't do as well and was a much rougher ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GM3SF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned before, we had a Gen1 Raptor with airbags and.....never any issues. With that one we towed our 23' Airstream (about 6,000 lbs and 750 lbs of tongue weight) and before that a 19' Airstream (weighed about 5,000 lbs). Altogether we've towed a little over 40,000 miles so I'd be comfortable saying that I don't think there are too many raptor owners out there with as much towing experience (with a Raptor) as we have.

Anyway, we got the Gen2 when it came out. Before we went ahead and got the airbags again we hitched up the airstream to see how much it would sag. The hope was it wouldn't need the bags, but it dropped the rear about 5", so I went ahead got the airbags installed again. The result is exactly what we needed. With them I am able to get the truck level to the exact height/spot where it was before I hitched up (If I remember correctly it's 42.5" from the ground to the top point of the wheel-well arch). Once that was dialed in I was also able to get our Airstream completely level.

As far as the actual towing ability.......In getting the Gen2 I was, not skeptical, but really hoping that all the numbers of increased horsepower and torque would ACTUALLY equate to (at least) the same tow-ability of the Gen1 Raptor. In the end I can confirm without a doubt that the Gen2 absolutely tows better than the Gen1. It also gets better gas mileage while towing. Even going up and over the passes (and I mean there's some GOOD ONES between Sacramento and Death Valley where we were going), we ended up at 13mpg.

Once last thing. You of course do lose some upwards wheel travel with the airbags. To alleviate this I'm having the airbag mounting brackets re-manufactured. There's a lot of room lost in the ones that they came with and with the news ones I'll gain back about 5.5" of wheel travel. For the offroading we do, that's more than fine and an absolutely fair tradeoff.

raptor-towing-1.jpg

raptor-towing-2.jpg

raptor-airstream-1.jpg

raptor-airstream-2.jpg

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned before, we had a Gen1 Raptor with airbags and.....never any issues. With that one we towed our 23' Airstream (about 6,000 lbs and 750 lbs of tongue weight) and before that a 19' Airstream (weighed about 5,000 lbs). Altogether we've towed a little over 40,000 miles so I'd be comfortable saying that I don't think there are too many raptor owners out there with as much towing experience (with a Raptor) as we have.

Anyway, we got the Gen2 when it came out. Before we went ahead and got the airbags again we hitched up the airstream to see how much it would sag. The hope was it wouldn't need the bags, but it dropped the rear about 5", so I went ahead got the airbags installed again. The result is exactly what we needed. With them I am able to get the truck level to the exact height/spot where it was before I hitched up (If I remember correctly it's 42.5" from the ground to the top point of the wheel-well arch). Once that was dialed in I was also able to get our Airstream completely level.

As far as the actual towing ability.......In getting the Gen2 I was, not skeptical, but really hoping that all the numbers of increased horsepower and torque would ACTUALLY equate to (at least) the same tow-ability of the Gen1 Raptor. In the end I can confirm without a doubt that the Gen2 absolutely tows better than the Gen1. It also gets better gas mileage while towing. Even going up and over the passes (and I mean there's some GOOD ONES between Sacramento and Death Valley where we were going), we ended up at 13mpg.

Once last thing. You of course do lose some upwards wheel travel with the airbags. To alleviate this I'm having the airbag mounting brackets re-manufactured. There's a lot of room lost in the ones that they came with and with the news ones I'll gain back about 5.5" of wheel travel. For the offroading we do, that's more than fine and an absolutely fair tradeoff.

Just curious, why did you go with airbags over a weight-distribution hitch?

GM3SF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, why did you go with airbags over a weight-distribution hitch?

Sorry, I should have mentioned...we've always use a weight distribution hitch. When I said it dropped as much as it did (when we tried it without the airbags), that was WITH the weight distribution hitch. You should be able to see the weight distribution bars in the picture I posted above.

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have mentioned...we've always use a weight distribution hitch. When I said it dropped as much as it did (when we tried it without the airbags), that was WITH the weight distribution hitch. You should be able to see the weight distribution bars in the picture I posted above.

Oh yeah I see it now. That's really surprising then. Are you sure you have the right hitch setup for that kinda load?

adventure

Reaction score
GP, if you find someone to make you air bag brackets, I'd be willing to go in with you to share the cost if they're willing to make an extra set. Are you doing cups for them, or a regular mount setup?

GM3SF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GP, if you find someone to make you air bag brackets, I'd be willing to go in with you to share the cost if they're willing to make an extra set. Are you doing cups for them, or a regular mount setup?

Cool. Will keep you posted on how it turns out.

I'm running the daystar cradles. I actually bought them months before taking delivery of the truck. I always worried that the truck would get here and all of the sudden I'd find they no longer made the cradles. They're cheap....like $60 or something like that. Was worth buying beforehand and keeping just in case.

Last edited: