Raptor Sales Alltime Low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trimmell, you’re thinking monochromatically. If you want a decent off road machine with legit cred and no bells and whistles but what you actually want - a garage door opener, spec out an 800A, and get an aftermarket opener.

Ford does not have a corner on the market for technology. I didn’t want the tech package, graphics, bed liner, and I’d have been fine without the moon roof but seeing what you lot had to go through to score a reasonable deal, and not having a wealth of local options out there without ADM, I took the MSRP deal with more options than I wanted. I found a few 801A trucks, but I only found 3 out of 120 in a 100 mile radius of my address less than $60k.

The reality is not what the consumers want it to be; the Raptors sell at Ford’s price points. Greedy dealers do sit on the trucks, but at Ford’s prices point the trucks sell.

I agree with you, $9K for an option package is quite a bit high and I don’t personally like it, but... the market supports it. Cloth seats, bench seats, rear seat delete are ok for non daily drivers, but I’ve had enough cars, trucks and bikes I had to “tough it out” with. I would have chosen fewer options, but the market didn’t really facilitate that, leaving the remaining lesser optioned vehicles for as much money as an 802 because the dealers know they can get away with charging ADM in most of the urban markets.

I wouldn’t classify this as Ford being greedy, so much as I would say it is Ford knowing the market place and knowing what they can reasonably charge. Trucks with 20K ADM are not moving. Trucks at MSRP are moving. We can’t reasonably expect Ford to offer the ’17 at ’14 prices, or even ’14 prices plus inflation and increased COL. They have to amortize research, development, testing, more testing, regulatory compliance, more testing etc.

There are some dealers out there thinking they have more than they do. Some who are shady, less than honorable brokers, and I think greedy may be an accurate description. However there are others out there selling at MSRP or just over and selling trucks like krispy kermes at a cop convention. It’s hard work being a diligent consumer.

All I am saying is Ford requiring you to order more expensive option packages just to get two options that Ford knows damn good and well that a lot of customers want is Ford being greedy. Nothing more and nothing less. They know customers want them so you will pay for them. I'm 90% sure the garage door opener is only connected with two wires too. The same to wires (power and ground) that power the vanity mirror lights. We should be able to spec them how we want. At least for the basics. Clump the rest of the shit together but let people have the basics on whatever trim level you want. It is similar to Chevrolet only offering the 6.2L on the LTZ. When you could get that on the LS trim level for a long time with the Max Tow Package. Same exact thing. Instead of having an extremely capable 1/2 ton truck you could use for your business at a decent price you now have to have the fully loaded LTZ. Exact same situation. Ford isn't the only company that does it. I'm not saying they are. But they are one of the only companies that does it for little basic shit.

The ADM won't last either. I have a feeling that is close to being officially over. Like I said, these aren't Paganis. The people who were willing to pay $20K over have probably already done so. I would guess if there are still a bunch of 17's on lots when order banks open for the 18's dealers will start dealing. And I know there are deals to be had. Back when they first came out I called around and found a few dealers who would sell at invoice and a ton that would sell at MSRP. And I could probably still order one for Invoice from my hometown dealer if I wanted to but meh.

I'm going to wait until the 18's come out before I make a decision. The last time I bought the first year of a new model it was a nightmare. 6 recalls later and its turned out to be an extremely reliable truck that gets over 22mpg and is 4wd with a V8 and is still on its original set of tires after 103,000 miles. So it hasn't been all bad I guess but I am not dealing with a ton of QC issues or missing parts on something in the Raptors price range. Its completely unacceptable so I will wait. And waiting is getting difficult.

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

I love how now having the 802 makes you a mall crawler...Haha...

Don't be a Hilary supporter and take things out of context. I said " LIKELY " won't be used offroad. I doubt many of the hardcore guys that you have seen on the forums with the fully modded Raptors that are in the prerunner category are going to be starting with a 802A. Which is why I said LIKELY won't be used offroad.

Ltl6pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I am saying is Ford requiring you to order more expensive option packages just to get two options that Ford knows damn good and well that a lot of customers want is Ford being greedy. Nothing more and nothing less. They know customers want them so you will pay for them. I'm 90% sure the garage door opener is only connected with two wires too. The same to wires (power and ground) that power the vanity mirror lights. We should be able to spec them how we want. At least for the basics. Clump the rest of the shit together but let people have the basics on whatever trim level you want. It is similar to Chevrolet only offering the 6.2L on the LTZ. When you could get that on the LS trim level for a long time with the Max Tow Package. Same exact thing. Instead of having an extremely capable 1/2 ton truck you could use for your business at a decent price you now have to have the fully loaded LTZ. Exact same situation. Ford isn't the only company that does it. I'm not saying they are. But they are one of the only companies that does it for little basic shit.

The ADM won't last either. I have a feeling that is close to being officially over. Like I said, these aren't Paganis. The people who were willing to pay $20K over have probably already done so. I would guess if there are still a bunch of 17's on lots when order banks open for the 18's dealers will start dealing. And I know there are deals to be had. Back when they first came out I called around and found a few dealers who would sell at invoice and a ton that would sell at MSRP. And I could probably still order one for Invoice from my hometown dealer if I wanted to but meh.

I'm going to wait until the 18's come out before I make a decision. The last time I bought the first year of a new model it was a nightmare. 6 recalls later and its turned out to be an extremely reliable truck that gets over 22mpg and is 4wd with a V8 and is still on its original set of tires after 103,000 miles. So it hasn't been all bad I guess but I am not dealing with a ton of QC issues or missing parts on something in the Raptors price range. Its completely unacceptable so I will wait. And waiting is getting difficult.

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

Don't be a Hilary supporter and take things out of context. I said " LIKELY " won't be used offroad. I doubt many of the hardcore guys that you have seen on the forums with the fully modded Raptors that are in the prerunner category are going to be starting with a 802A. Which is why I said LIKELY won't be used offroad.
Hi, Would you be looking to make a little money on the side and order a full spec 802A screw from your dealer for invoice? I have a Buddy that is looking and you can buy at invoice, You make some money and he saves a tone. If not will you give me your dealer info and we will try and set it up? Man its always nice to have the buying power you have with your local dealer, and he can still get one at invoice! I paid MSRP. would also like to add that My 802A Screw has a little over 500 miles off road, in sand, mud, and clay! These trucks are for real!

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TRIMMELL- it occurs to me that if the garage door opener is that big of a deal for you, I'm sure that you could order and swap in the visor with the garage door opener built in.

TAHDAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!

KTMRC8

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You can probably make the case that these hardcore guys aren't whining about a garage door opener either...:biggrin:

foo.c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hardcore guys just use the clicker that came with the garage door opener.

Pros have a pit crew to open the door.

Last edited:

KTMRC8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You clearly missed the entire point.

Haha, well if your response to multiple people is they have missed the point, sounds like you didn't do a very good job making one....

Your argument is essentially, "Ford is greedy because they have a 9k package that people are required to get if they want any upgrades." Well I'm sure Ford looked at packages and sales numbers from the past, and noticed the vast majority of owners would opt for the top of the line package, and making onesy twosy packages for low volume customers would only delay the manufacturing process. Where you got lost is your argument about 802s being for mall crawlers. Truth of the matter is a "hardcore guy" would buy a base package and do the remaining mods themselves ( especially that ever so difficult clip on garage door opener mod). Base price went from 45k to 49k...Hardly a greedy reach for a complete overhaul, but whatever...Your mind is set. Wait until 18s come out, and you can continue your bitching then when there still isn't an option to add a garage door opener to the 801 package...:win:

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, well if your response to multiple people is they have missed the point, sounds like you didn't do a very good job making one....

Your argument is essentially, "Ford is greedy because they have a 9k package that people are required to get if they want any upgrades." Well I'm sure Ford looked at packages and sales numbers from the past, and noticed the vast majority of owners would opt for the top of the line package, and making onesy twosy packages for low volume customers would only delay the manufacturing process. Where you got lost is your argument about 802s being for mall crawlers. Truth of the matter is a "hardcore guy" would buy a base package and do the remaining mods themselves ( especially that ever so difficult clip on garage door opener mod). Base price went from 45k to 49k...Hardly a greedy reach for a complete overhaul, but whatever...Your mind is set. Wait until 18s come out, and you can continue your bitching then when there still isn't an option to add a garage door opener to the 801 package...:win:

The POINT is you should be able to add very basic shit as options to a low spec'd truck if you so choose. I was using the garage door opener as an example. Since that is specifically complained about on this forum more than most of the others from people that want the option but don't want to buy the 802. Pretty common. Its not about making a special package. It is about allowing people to add basic options included in most other vehicles to the truck of their choosing. If you're not smart enough to understand something so simple, then nothing will help you. Keep trying to look cool. :waytogo: