Raptor Mods - (Based on Driving Habit)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, coming from a racing history, i consider myself a category 2.5. i drive within my limits, but to a lot of people they think i am wreckless. however i am fairly new to driving a truck offroad. put me in a subaru, and thats a completely different story. but based on what i have done so far, i think a little bit stiffer shocks would be my first mod.... but thats a long ways off. damn wife took my mod money when i ordered her raptor.......

Jackemuphigh21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's get some discussion going on these Cats! So you don't see any downside to mid perch on the 2012s or 2013s? No extra strains/stresses? I believe SVT didn't recommend it but yet every one (at least us enthusiasts on FRF) is doing it.

I actually went to top perch at 2k miles. I just recently went down to mid perch at 20k miles because it rides much better and I have one of the early RPG stage 3 kits so my rear leafs are arched lower and I didn't like the front sitting higher than the rear. I haven't had any issues with the CVs or anything as of yet because I rarely am forced to use 4wd. However I probably won't go back up to top perch height until I get my 3.0's because the ride on top perch is just pretty harsh for the roads where I live on a daily basis.

In my opinion mid perch is just as safe as bottom perch for as far as wear of components but in ride comparison mid perch wins every time.

OP
OP
WyoStorm

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've compiled the first initial list on post 1. I'll tweak it as more posts come in and we debate what's really needed in each category. I think it will help some of us (I know it will us newer and soon to be Raptor owners) decide which way to go and what the pluses and minuses might be.

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

I actually went to top perch at 2k miles. I just recently went down to mid perch at 20k miles because it rides much better and I have one of the early RPG stage 3 kits so my rear leafs are arched lower and I didn't like the front sitting higher than the rear. I haven't had any issues with the CVs or anything as of yet because I rarely am forced to use 4wd. However I probably won't go back up to top perch height until I get my 3.0's because the ride on top perch is just pretty harsh for the roads where I live on a daily basis.

In my opinion mid perch is just as safe as bottom perch for as far as wear of components but in ride comparison mid perch wins every time.

Still debating the mid perch. Sounds like the added stress is minimal but I certainly don't want to hurry along any breakage. I know I'll keep mine stock for a few months so I can learn the truck and then we'll go from there. Certainly sounds like it should be an improvement off-road which is where mine will be most of the time. It will NOT be a DD!

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't no what cat I would be in, but I jump it drive fast at times, mod are in my sig, I started with engine mods lights and protectant I got that when I bought the truck. The trucks are very capable stock if you pre run your jumps and race track.

OP
OP
WyoStorm

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think that's another good question. What kind of jumps can a stock Raptor get a way with? Would some argue you shouldn't jump a stock Raptor at all??? Or are smaller jumps within the design of a stock Raptor? What are the best mods to hit some bigger jumps? 3.0 shocks? Extra frame reinforcement? ???

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, coming from a racing history, i consider myself a category 2.5. i drive within my limits, but to a lot of people they think i am wreckless. however i am fairly new to driving a truck offroad. put me in a subaru, and thats a completely different story. but based on what i have done so far, i think a little bit stiffer shocks would be my first mod.... but thats a long ways off. damn wife took my mod money when i ordered her raptor.......
i must add to this. i have not yet taken the truck to to my driving limits for fear of breaking it. but once i get the right parts for it......

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think it's more of a question what type of jumps should you do with a stock raptor. Table top is the most forgiving so I would say that should be the first jump to seek out. I've hit my table top at 65 that is the max I would ever hit it I did hook up that day so every day is different so be careful. Start slow is the key even if you don't get any air the first few times.

OP
OP
WyoStorm

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i must add to this. i have not yet taken the truck to to my driving limits for fear of breaking it. but once i get the right parts for it......

And that's exactly why I started this thread. What are the right parts and in what order based on how you're driving the truck.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me the first thing is/was..
1. screen in front of rad day you get the truck
2. seal up where the intake is in the inner fender to stop any chance of water ingestion
3. Extra lighting...
4. No matter what type of driving you do on road or off road the upgraded shocks are the best upgrade for the money! I am running the Icons and wow, these should be a option from the factory
5. exhaust, just the cat back to help remove underhood heat
This if your feel the need for some extra security and you are driving off road fast
6. rear bump stop system

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc