Raptor just died--everything went black

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drmdwebb

Reaction score
I was driving down a city street at dusk. The system made a funny warning noise, and the dashboard went completely black for a second, then came back. Five seconds later, the entire system shut down and went completely black. We came to a stop in the middle of the lane. Some good samaritans helped us open the port to put it in neutral manually and push it to the side. We tried to jump it, but even when it was hooked up to another vehicle via cables, it was still completely black--no lights, no response to any button pushes, nothing.

I tried unhooking the battery for a while (~30 minutes) and then hooking it back up again while we waited for the tow truck (that's another story--2.5 hours of frustration), but that did not help. Not a single light, nothing.

Anybody else ever have this problem?

This is the same vehicle that had its engine completely rebuilt at 17,000 miles because two cylinders were losing compression because of bad rings (or whatever the problem was) a year ago:

2019 Raptor using 1 qt oil every 1000 miles; leaking cylinders

I guess I got a lemon :)

Thoughts? It's at the dealership now. They can't even look at it for a few days.

OP
OP
D

drmdwebb

Reaction score
I examined the fuse box. It was dark, but with a flashlight, I could see no obvious hint that a fuse was blown.

In retrospect, I'm kicking myself for not (a) having any tools with me (wrenches and a voltmeter would have been nice), and (b) not knowing what to check. Simple google searches at the time did me no good. I used pliers from a multi-tool to loosen the bolt on the negative battery terminal :(

Sorry for not being more clear about the vehicle in the OP: it's the 2019 big cab Raptor.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Happened to me along with a million codes when my alt went out. Not saying that's your issue...but mine shut off when it went outside it's happy charging voltage range.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
please tell me the Rap doesn’t have a fusible link built into one of the main cables?

That popped on me in an 80’s Chevy - same symptom, driving along and with no explanation or warning, everything went dark. ’Twas a fusible link in the battery cable.