Driver side tail light died

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickyF25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had my driver side tail light replaced along with replacement of my tailgate applique, both under warranty. I got a peek at the bill when I was signing it that there would be no charge to me and it totaled $3200 for everything.

OP
OP
Keshka

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I hear, Raptor and Platinum are the only trucks using the LED version and yes the led module does separate from the Lense (it was bad from the water)

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It took on a real funny glow at first then it would randomly do blinking and flashing. Finally, nothing. It had water in it. I took her in expecting a warranty replacement but about a week after it was replace, the service manager called with bad news that Ford could not warrant it as it had been cracked. Sure enough, a hair line crack between the bottom seam where the clear meets the red. It's very hard to see. We were thinking probably "people of Walmart" but then I have a gimp sticker and always park in the wide handicap parking spaces making sure no adjacent rigs can reach my Raptor. ....Then he informed me of the price! Holy Cow! About $5k! For a friggin' Lense?

See this vid:

So I filed a claim with my insurance and they wanted an invoice showing the repairs. I asked the service manager for one but this was just a day or two before he had to have his leg amputated. He seems to be recovering fine and is back to work riding a Segway and I have chatted with him a couple times ....no mention of me owing a "bill".

Later on remembering the numerous photos I took the day I took her home, how good our cell phone cams are, I went looking and yes, it was there on delivery so I may get out of this yet. As I said, it's very hard to see and would have been easy to miss on inspection

This is why when I pick up a new ride, I go over it cautiously. Like 2.5 hours cautious. I’ve been scoffed at by more than a few FRF for this, but I drove off after my purchase and
- didn’t pop the radiator or any other hose off on the way home
- didn’t find a non working component just after
- didn’t suffer some catastrophic or glorious breakdown a short time after purchase
- didn’t find some goofy paint irregularity
- The truck just worked like it was supposed to.

I’ve read a bunch of people on here loudly proclaim “I just show up, sign papers and drive off, that’s what warranty is for”...

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From what I hear, Raptor and Platinum are the only trucks using the LED version and yes the led module does separate from the Lense (it was bad from the water)
That’s the SOD Module for the Blind Spot system, not an LED driver. The SOD Module is only $400, so the $5k estimate still isn’t in the ballpark.