Driver side tail light died

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It took on a real funny glow at first then it would randomly do blinking and flashing. Finally, nothing. It had water in it. I took her in expecting a warranty replacement but about a week after it was replace, the service manager called with bad news that Ford could not warrant it as it had been cracked. Sure enough, a hair line crack between the bottom seam where the clear meets the red. It's very hard to see. We were thinking probably "people of Walmart" but then I have a gimp sticker and always park in the wide handicap parking spaces making sure no adjacent rigs can reach my Raptor. ....Then he informed me of the price! Holy Cow! About $5k! For a friggin' Lense?

See this vid:

So I filed a claim with my insurance and they wanted an invoice showing the repairs. I asked the service manager for one but this was just a day or two before he had to have his leg amputated. He seems to be recovering fine and is back to work riding a Segway and I have chatted with him a couple times ....no mention of me owing a "bill".

Later on remembering the numerous photos I took the day I took her home, how good our cell phone cams are, I went looking and yes, it was there on delivery so I may get out of this yet. As I said, it's very hard to see and would have been easy to miss on inspection

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
yikes! could have been buggered up in transit or stealership parking lot.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It took on a real funny glow at first then it would randomly do blinking and flashing. Finally, nothing. It had water in it. I took her in expecting a warranty replacement but about a week after it was replace, the service manager called with bad news that Ford could not warrant it as it had been cracked. Sure enough, a hair line crack between the bottom seam where the clear meets the red. It's very hard to see. We were thinking probably "people of Walmart" but then I have a gimp sticker and always park in the wide handicap parking spaces making sure no adjacent rigs can reach my Raptor. ....Then he informed me of the price! Holy Cow! About $5k! For a friggin' Lense?

See this vid:

So I filed a claim with my insurance and they wanted an invoice showing the repairs. I asked the service manager for one but this was just a day or two before he had to have his leg amputated. He seems to be recovering fine and is back to work riding a Segway and I have chatted with him a couple times ....no mention of me owing a "bill".

Later on remembering the numerous photos I took the day I took her home, how good our cell phone cams are, I went looking and yes, it was there on delivery so I may get out of this yet. As I said, it's very hard to see and would have been easy to miss on inspection
How much for a new tail light? $1000 would be a lot, but about what I would expect. Is the stealership padding the labor bill?

RogueClimber

Agent Orange
Supporting Member
Reaction score

dh2002

Reaction score
the cost of the headlight is exactly why I added the headlight and taillight option when I got my extended warranty from Flood

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah that’s great and all, but these failures are water intrusion --from damage-- that isn’t covered by the warranty.

OP
OP
Keshka

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much for a new tail light? $1000 would be a lot, but about what I would expect. Is the stealership padding the labor bill?
I don't think so Gordo. My dealer has been great and very supportive. I just purchased a new 2024 Edge SVT last week from them and continue to rely on them for warranty issues. Pretty sure it Ford doing the gouge ...re the vid from fordmakeuloco. My service manager offered to waive the labor because of the exorbitant cost as well as the tail light assembly at cost.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
5g's? Damn. I know it sounds janky, but there is a way to separate the lens from the body of the light, put it in the oven and soften the glue then pry it apart. Then just put some clear silicone around the border and slap it back together. Maybe just a corroded connection, hopefully?

May be some youtubes on the subject. I know it works for many headlights. I had to do it on on mamma's escalade a while back.