Raptor Assault - Yet another question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

irtmks

Reaction score
Sorry, but after some forum searching, I got a little conflicting info, and a bit outdated info from a few years ago.

I am registered for the November session. I wanted to buy, and take a GoPro camera along.

I have emailed the Ford contact, but have not yet received an answer, so I thought I might get some info here.

Can you mount a GoPro for the driving session, is it allowed?

What kind of mounts did you use?

Where did you mount?

Any other info that might help. Time is getting short but I don't want to spend $600 (GoPro and accessories) if it isn't allowed.

Has anyone done this recently (last few months).

I read some info on drones (not allowed) and when I searched the Ford site, was taken to a 3rd party site that appears to want around $200 for the camera video service.

If I can do it myself, I can justify the GoPro.

Thanks

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the class for this Monday (Oct 5). Yes, a GoPro is allowed as long as it is mounted in the truck via suction cup mount. You're not allowed to attach it to your helmet, outside the truck, or via a sticky mount.

I bought a GoPro specifically for this as well and bought the GoPro branded suction cup mount although you can find plenty other types on Amazon.

There's also a FP camera guy who follows around the group for the day and gets a bunch of pics of you driving, at the end of the day you'll get a USB stick w/ all the photos on it.

Reaction score
I was in the September 24th class and I mounted mine on the grip handle on the passenger side. I would recommend using suction cup on the windshield and keep the camera at your eye level. That will give you a better look than I got because mine was over our head and made things look easier than they were. Good luck. Great group of instructors and an amazing amount of fun.

naa3e5

Reaction score
Me and a buddy are in the Oct 5th class too, in fact we just landed in SLC... staying at the Holiday Inn in Tooele

we brought a suction GoPro mount with us

OP
OP
irtmks

irtmks

Reaction score
Hey thanks so much for all the info. I just bought the Hero9 with suction cup.

I noticed on YouTube that most all of the attendees appear to be like I used to be about 40 years ago. I mean, in my excitement to sign up, get rental car, hotel, etc. I totally forgot I am pushing 68.

I may be spreading body parts all over Utah. If you are in a class after mid November, watch out for slime looking stuff on the trails....that may be me.

Lilla Kharn

Namaste
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just took the class last week.

You can film all you want as long as you keep the camera mounted INSIDE the truck.

They’ve had too many people loose cameras on the trail and had to turn around and try to find it.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was gonna PM you @irtmks but figured I'd post here for everyone's benefit. Went to Monday's class (it was well worth it and I have nothing but good things to say) and it was my first time using my new GoPro. Learned a lot and have some tips to make it work better.

First tip, buy/bring a better SD card. The 32GB one that comes with the camera will only store about 75 minutes of footage. At RA you'll be in the trucks for 6ish hours. You'll want bigger storage. I used a 256GB off my phone which gave me 10+ hours of storage. Just know when you get a new SD card, the GoPro will need to format it to store things correctly. Just start filming and it'll prompt you to reformat.

Second big one is to buy/bring a second battery. Keeping the camera running, I blew through almost the whole battery before we even got to the trails. I was able to charge it back up using the trucks USB but I lost a big chunk of the day doing so.

Still ended up with a bunch of good footage, suction cup mount worked like a dream and the hypersmooth on the GoPro was awesome.

MyRaptorLife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you mount inside? Windshield? We have tint on our new Raps windshield so leery of putting it there. Couldn't find anywhere else so far..