Raptor Assault Turbo Adapter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Guy, I’d say there’s more scientificality and truthiness to the turbo adapter than a cat back. Remember back in the old, old, old days, we used to port match the exhaust gaskets and headers to the head? Just smoothing out or eliminating any ‘step’ coming into the headers is worth a little power. Here, the SPD adapters could not possibly impede airflow as compared to the stock pieces, so they should be worth at least something, somewhere in the power band.

Cat backs are mostly about sound, though, if Ford restricted the exhaust at the muffler, maybe there could be something there. My experience has shown mufflers to be essentially worthless in terms of hp, but free(er) flowing cats are worth power at the wheels, possibly at the expense of not passing a smog test. Though I’d be willing to bet a decent high flow cat would pass.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guy, I’d say there’s more scientificality and truthiness to the turbo adapter than a cat back. Remember back in the old, old, old days, we used to port match the exhaust gaskets and headers to the head? Just smoothing out or eliminating any ‘step’ coming into the headers is worth a little power. Here, the SPD adapters could not possibly impede airflow as compared to the stock pieces, so they should be worth at least something, somewhere in the power band.

Cat backs are mostly about sound, though, if Ford restricted the exhaust at the muffler, maybe there could be something there. My experience has shown mufflers to be essentially worthless in terms of hp, but free(er) flowing cats are worth power at the wheels, possibly at the expense of not passing a smog test. Though I’d be willing to bet a decent high flow cat would pass.

Yes the logic makes sense. My hang up is still....
Let's say the stock adapter can flow 5cfm and the engine is pumping 3cfm. Going to an adapter that can flow 8cfm isn't going to allow any more gas to pass. It's just a bigger hole. For this to have proof of concept we have to assume that the stock adapter has insufficient capacity per minute of flow. It very well might, but what if it doesn't? Then it's just a bigger hole. I can't imagine you'd lose power, but I can imagine a scenario where it would do little or nothing too... just like a cat back. If it isn't a bottle neck... it isn't going to make more power even if it has the capacity to flow more.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't guys, SPD has a very good reputation. I know what I feel, I know how the truck drives and I know what their HP estimates are. I know some of you still believe the earth is flat and need convincing otherwise, I'm just not going to convince you any more than I have. It's $200. A small price to pay for a decent boost in performance and sound.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes the logic makes sense. My hang up is still....
Let's say the stock adapter can flow 5cfm and the engine is pumping 3cfm. Going to an adapter that can flow 8cfm isn't going to allow any more gas to pass. It's just a bigger hole. For this to have proof of concept we have to assume that the stock adapter has insufficient capacity per minute of flow. It very well might, but what if it doesn't? Then it's just a bigger hole. I can't imagine you'd lose power, but I can imagine a scenario where it would do little or nothing too... just like a cat back. If it isn't a bottle neck... it isn't going to make more power even if it has the capacity to flow more.

Listen to this carefully:

Nothing off the hotside of a turbo is the optimal setup when it comes to turbocharged vehicles.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't guys, SPD has a very good reputation. I know what I feel, I know how the truck drives and I know what their HP estimates are. I know some of you still believe the earth is flat and need convincing otherwise, I'm just not going to convince you any more than I have. It's $200. A small price to pay for a decent boost in performance and sound.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
So the guys selling it estimated the power gains? Must be true. What could they stand to gain?

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listen to this carefully:

Nothing off the hotside of a turbo is the optimal setup when it comes to turbocharged vehicles.

You can't make a blanket statement like that without backing it up with proof.

Show me engineering literature to validate that statement and I'll believe it. Alternatively, show me other reputable sources.

It's not that I don't want to believe you or think you're being untruthful, but without the evidence I'll remain skeptical of any claims.

I'd love for this to be 100 percent proven to work.
I'll buy them!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Guy, I know you’re once burned, but I’m inclined to believe the SPD’s are worth north of 10hp at the wheels in the similar way a high flow cat would be. Every new exhaust on a performance vehicle is a compromise but at this stage of automotive engineering, the mufflers represent very little of a choke point.

These things and cats would probably yield some power to the point that a muffler might help, but unless there is a quirky routing that hurts flow, I’d be skeptical. I’ve picked up 10hp off high flow cats on a couple different N/A cars, and so long as the actual exhaust opening on the outlet is bigger than the SPD or at least not smaller I cannot envision a way these will cost hp. see the chart in the gen2 general forum; not an equal comparison of runs, but look closely at the 2 “tip in” points.

I know you don’t want to throw money away again, but this is a lot less money and honestly has more potential for gain.

Finally, remember the exhaust is a sub-system of the engine, which is basically a large air pump. There is always a choke point or ‘fuse’ point within such a system, obviously if you put on (optionally: bigger turbos,) downpipes without cats or with high flows, minimally bent duals with good mufflers, you’d be picking up good numbers, even without a tune.

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about the dyno chart that SPD has on there website? Does everyone not believe it to be a legit dyno of a stock raptor and then with the adapters?
This is taken straight from their site.
A completely stock 2017 F150 Raptor dyno'd 366HP and 404LBS of torque at the wheels. After these adapters were bolted on, with no other modifications, the truck made 390HP and 447LBS of torque. That's an increase of 24HP and 43LBS of torque at the wheels!

Attachments

• ADPT35R_11.jpg
    ADPT35R_11.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 95