put up your dyno results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Wilson

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess to specify I have the aFe and I'm thinking if I put a lid on it and tried to pull all the air I needed out of the om cai it would be restrictive becose it was designed to take x amount for the stock intake.

Flying_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock set up is the only true "cold air intake out there". The Volant intake kit alone without the additional scoop is a cold air intake cuz it draws air from the same location as stock. So I guess by the transitive property of intakes Volant=real cold air intake. Forget the Hennessey or other similarly fashioned kits even with a heat shield your still just allowing hotter air to get in ur intake unless it's pullin air directly from outside the engine bay. That's what I've come to understand with the few intakes I've ran on my truck.

Volant CAI with the power core filter and a Volant throttle body spacer is 1st place in my book. Safe and effective!

I'd forget the scoop just looks like it would be a straw suckin up water in certain offroad situations lol...specially if it's up front .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK..............cold air intake is really a misnomer. Cooler air (which could only be a few degrees difference from engine compartment at times) is really a much more accurate term. To get true "cold" air your going to have to "chill" the air with an outside source....perhaps **** or something like it.
Yes, if you plan to go that deep in the water your looking for trouble.

Flying_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK..............cold air intake is really a misnomer. Cooler air (which could only be a few degrees difference from engine compartment at times) is really a much more accurate term. To get true "cold" air your going to have to "chill" the air with an outside source....perhaps **** or something like it.
Yes, if you plan to go that deep in the water your looking for trouble.

Or Nitrous.........

Flying_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me and nitrous are old friends. I like to use it on a lot of my applications. Truck just needs a 75 wet and I'll be happy.

Flying_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run e85 on a project of mine. It went from making 420whp on baby boost and 93 octane to 525 from just doing the ethanol (so lines, pump, injectors, reg, etc. now it's sittin at a lil over 700hp lol.

The power gains from ethanol are awseome. Now I wouldn't imagine as much of an increase in power as say doing the same thing to a car that's boosted/blown. But e-85 is the equivalent of like what 110-115 octane?? I think. Less chance of detonation... Great for emissions. Runs a lot cooler. What's not to love

The downside to it is the fact that it eats through just about anything and doesn't have much of a shelf life. And you use 1/3 more fuel so your mpg drops considerably lol. So it's not really cheaper. You pay the same pretty much. So u gotta run the right fuel lines and what not for the ethanol($$$$). If my car sits any longer than 2-3weeks with the same ethanol in the tank I gotta drain it all out and put fresh E in. Ethanol has a tendency to precipitate because it has a secret attraction for water....and no one wants water in their fuel system. And of course Availability. If I was still in Colorado I'd run e85 cuz every station In that state has it lol. Here in dallas I know of one gas station within a reasonable driving distance that I can go to. Another thing ppl don't know is that in the winter time gas companies change the mix to e-75 because e-85 can be a royal pain to cold start sometimes....so for guys running tuned ethanol motors it's important to watch your AFRs and adjust fueling if needed.