Probable poser here:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

selo

Reaction score
I admit it. I've never owned a truck, and even if I get one I don't know that I'll ever do any serious off-roading. But I think they're cool as hell, and we do like hiking and mountain biking, so I imagine throwing our gear in the back and heading up into the mountains. And perhaps towing a trailer with a sports car to a hpde event.
So, who is buying all of these? Do most people who own them use them for hard off-road work? What percentage of people who have these are like me, and what percentage just buy them because they look cool? And will I catch a bunch of crap from the hardcore crowd at gas stations and all, if it's obvious I'm not one of them?

D

Deleted member 12951

I never really did much off-roading myself. Got a raptor and it changed me, can't get enough off-road time. Get one and it will do the same to you and with a smiling grin on your face.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'd venture to say 90% of Raptors never even see dirt. Most of the ones that do probably just hit the deer lease and dirt roads.

I've seen guys with stock trucks bomb down off-road trails like they're in a trophy truck. And I've seen fully built trucks that have never seen the dirt.

Point is, it doesn't matter. If you like the truck (and all of us here do), buy it. I'll only caution you on the weight of your trailer since the Raptor does have less towing capability than a standard F-150. Nothing a set of bump stops can't help with, but you should know that ahead of time.

Good luck on your search and welcome to the forum!

TornadoRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Once upon a time. Before I owned my Raptor.....
I went off roading, Roaring and bouncing, (Thank God for seat belts) With my friend in his Raptor.....
The rest is Raptor lore, legendary bucking bronco awesomeness, filled with giggles and smiles. Praying the seat belt doesn't snap the hell in half....Those who know, already know!

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been into off roading in one way or another my whole life. My wife and I decided to get a Raptor because they are bad ass right from the factory, are aggressive with their styling, handle great on the road, and maintain an incredible amount of capability off road while being really reliable and not needing a lot of work. (As opposed to an older 4x4 that requires more tinkering.)

Having said all that we do not run hard if at all at events. Honestly, most of the time we don't even get out on the track at an event. Part of that is that we have to work. (My wife is a commercial photographer and shoots at most events.) Another factor is that we incurred some serious water damage in our truck shortly after purchasing it. The claim is ongoing for over 1.5 years and the insurance company has paid out over 25k for repairs!

Sometimes we get some good natured ribbing at events. However, the reality is that many owners put incredible amounts of time and $ into their trucks and attend events more for the social aspect than to run hard. Just my opinion and observation.

Will the guys that run hard give you some shit about not letting the truck live up to its full potential... yup. Does that happen all the time.. nope. In the end this is a great community that accepts pretty much everyone. Don't worry about what others think or say. You do you and everything will be cool. These trucks are amazing and a blast to drive. Good luck not getting bitten by the, "hey hold on I want to try something" bug. Just stay out of the water!

f3c3bb48a56ff6c242e9029dd93a372b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

selo

Reaction score
Very cool, thanks for the responses, not what I would have expected. I love my sports cars, but the trick is a cool toy that can enhance our lifestyle but also add functionality. I think I can sell my wife on that!

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Realistically I think Nick is being optimistic, i think only about 3% of the Raptors ever see dirt. How much off roading you may or may not do depends a lot on where you live. But having a Raptor sure makes it easier and more fun. As far as the other guys giving you a hard time yeah they might, but it's in good fun.

navywolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just drive it in the ditch for a few feet off road part done. once you get one that's all you can think about and holding yourself back from actually taking the median.

Man, that's me. I look at all the traffic in front of me and think... "I could be going so much faster..."