Potential buyer and can't get a test drive...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

hazards280

Reaction score
There are a couple of us here with G8s also.

Good to hear man! I'm glad other folks on here have similar tastes in cars!

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

Me and my lady test drove a few before buying I'm only 24 she's 23 and looks 16 but no issue test driving. I guess it was because I had 12k cash in hand and a 2014 Focus Titanium to trade in maybe you need to just let them know you're serious

The salesman I spoke to knows i'm very serious, he just said he can't let me test drive the truck due to the things listed above. I found a 6.2 about twenty minutes from my house that I'm going to try to test drive this weekend. If I like what I see/drive, I'll be on the hunt again. This repeat setback from the dealer is making me have second thoughts.

Damn man that sucks. I remember when I was in my teens I test drove the shit out of cars. Possibly because of ***** like me that people encounter these stupid issues. I know it's a hassall but keep looking. If a dealer says no then move no or talk to the manager. It's discrimination.

Agreed. I'm not really one to cause a commotion over things but when I get the impression that a salesman is looking at me as inferior it really ****** me off. He was acting like he was doing ME a favor by letting me look at the inside of the truck.

You don't need a test drive. Find one with the options you like and buy it over the phone. You won't regret it. Drive it before you sign the papers and if you find something you don't like, walk away. There are more out there. When you call the dealership, ask for the fleet or internet salesperson.

Thanks for the recommendation. Next time I call a dealership, I'll ask for one of those people.

Very odd indeed. There are probably just as many broke 40+ year olds as there is well off 22 year olds. What does age got to do with it. Now I can see if a 16 year old went to a dealer with his 16 old friend and wanted to take a test drive but if that same 16 year old was with his dad, then I would find it odd that no test drive would be allowed.

I agree 100% with you here. I got the feeling that he was trying to push the exclusivity of the truck on me as a way of limiting the negotiations on price. He was willing to discuss it RIGHT away and told me how he had only seen four raptor in the five years he was at this dealership. Mind you, this is a fairly large dealership; four Raptors? doubtful...

squeak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure when you buy one you take it back to that dealership for service or just to window shop so that guy knows he lost a sale.

kboss87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never drove or even rode in a Raptor, but I did order one. It has to be better than my 1995 F150 with 260,000 miles lol

horak24

Reaction score
I had no problem getting a test drive in fact they pulled the truck off the showroom floor here in Ohio in the winter and i drove it out in the snow and got it all dirty. We could not agree on a final price so i did not buy it, and end up buying mine from a dealer an hr away for a lot less. And they too let me drive it 1st. I never showed either place any money ect.

SVT_Mayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I test drove mine at my dealer with nothing to show at the time. All I said was im interested and serious about buying. I'm 22. Needless to say walked out of the dealer with the truck for 5 grand less than they were asking. It is a Blue Flame SCAB loaded w/ 56k at time of purchase. Got it for 37 they wanted 42.

Last edited:

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was buying mine, the **** salesman at All American Ford in Paramus NJ wouldn't let me do a test drive. Needless to say he and that dealer didn't get my business.

sublime1996525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I'm not really one to cause a commotion over things but when I get the impression that a salesman is looking at me as inferior it really ****** me off. He was acting like he was doing ME a favor by letting me look at the inside of the truck.

I had similar experience once when I was looking at selling my C5 Z06. I was contemplating getting a GT500 or a C6 Z06. I found a dealer that had a used low mileage GT500 on the lot. I brought my C5Z there to get an eval on a trade for it. It took them over an hour to look at my car and during that time they wouldn't even drive the GT500. The salesman barely wanted to let me look inside the car. He wouldn't even let me hold the keys lol.

It all worked out for the best though because I found a great deal on my C6Z and am much happier with that.

golferdude1971

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Find out who the dealer principle is, and send him an email and cc the sales manager and the salesmen. That will light a fire under their asses. I went through that same shit with a local dealer, and told them to pound sand. Dealers like that should not be in business

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No test drive=no sale in my world.
That is the one thing about being old(er) that I like, people generally take you seriously.
One thing I hold true in business is whoever is writing the check has the power.
I do what is necessary to meet my customer's needs because they are writing the check & I expect the same when I am writing the check. Far to many car dealers forget this vital fact.